They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing 30fps clips

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Importing 30fps clips

Postby Rob_R » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi There:

I have several clips taken with a Fuji Fin Pix S5200 (640x480, 30FPS). The camera saved the clips as .AVI files. When I try to load them into elements 10 premiere it rejects them. These clips play on VLC without any issues.

I tries various converting methods using VLC, Streamclip, and Super without success. (I may not have set the correct parameters in these conversion programs as I guessed a lot!)

Any help you can provide is appreciated,

Rob.......
Rob_R
New User
New User

Re: Importing 30fps clips

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 pm

The Fuji Finepix S5200 records video as avi using a motion jpeg codec. Unfortunately, motion jpeg is not standardized and there are many variations in use and they aren't all compatible. That has led to problems editing it.

Do you have Quicktime installed? Premiere Elements uses the codecs installed by Quicktime to decode some of the video formats it edits. Quicktime does install a codec for decoding motion jpeg. That may be sufficient. If not, you'll likely need to transcode the video.

How are you establishing the project preset in Premiere?
Bob

Postby Rob_R » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Bob:

I was able to convert the Fuji (640x480, 30fps) .AVI files to .MP4 files using a free (for non commercial use) video converter from NCH Software. Elements 10 imported it without a burp! The video and audio looks and sounds ok. I'll know for sure after the finished DVD plays on our TV.

This may not be the best approach (or even a good one) but so far it's the best I've been able to come up with.

The HCH Software (Prisim) was very easy to instal and use as well. The price was right too!
www.NCHsoftware.com/software/video.html

Do let me know if you have any additional suggestions or comments.

Thanks,

Rob.....
Rob_R
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:21 am

I'm glad you've found success with Bob's excellent suggestion, Rob.

About the only word of warning is that version 10 of Premiere Elements is not terribly tolerant with non-camcorder formats -- so, before you put this topic completely to bed, be sure to do an experiment, from capture to editing to output, to ensure that converting to MP4 will work for you. It'd be a shame to put hours of work into a project only to find that, when you finally output your finished DVD, there's a strange jitter that never showed up until this last stage.

Since version 11, the program is much more versatile at working with non-camcorder video, including MP4s using non-standard frame rates and codecs. But in version 10 and earlier, Adobe was focusing almost exclusively on miniDV, HDV and AVCHD video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rob_R » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Steve:

I was to load, edit, and burn a DVD without difficulty. So, for my situation at least, it worked ok and the results were good. (I tried a short segment first so as not to waist a lot of time if the process was unsuccessful.)

Best regards,

Rob....
Rob_R
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Love to hear the success stories, Rob!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator