They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No burners detected

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

No burners detected

Postby skip » Thu May 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Having trouble burning a DVD because PRE 10 says, "no burners detected." I can play other DVD's, so I don't think it's a problem with the player/burner itself. Seems like PRE 10 just has trouble seeing it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: No burners detected

Postby Bob » Thu May 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Some computers have a dvd player instead of a player/burner. Have you been able to burn dvds before and this is just a recent development?

This is a problem that comes up from time to time. It's not generally a problem with Premiere Elements. It can be caused by many things, but the main causes are interference from other CD/DVD software or changes to or corruption of the system parameters relating to the burner. Packet writing software (often installed with some dvd writing suites) is a major culprit. Packet writing software sets between the device and the OS and makes the burner appear to be a hard disk so you can drag and drop files to a cd/dvd. That's not a problem for programs that go directly to the hardware, but it can hide the burner from application like Premiere Elements that go through the operating system's hardware abstraction layer interfaces.

I'm going to assume you are using Windows. If it's an issue of the OS parameters being changed or corrupted, there are several things you can try. One way that often works is uninstall Premiere Elements, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall Premiere Elements. You can also change the system parameters in the registry -- either manually or using a trouble shooting / fixit program. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060 for details.

Another thing you can do is write your dvd to a folder using that option in Premiere Elements and then write that folder to the dvd using the free Imgburn utility or a similar program. If you download Imgburn, be careful to download the correct program from their site and watch the prompts carefully during the install to avoid installing something you don't want.
Bob

Postby skip » Fri May 15, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks Bob. I've used the burner before, so this is a new problem. I'll see if Microsoft can help me per your suggestion.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 am

One other thing to note: Do you have Nero installed on your computer? And which Windows version are you using?

Nero was notorious for hogging the DVD burner and not sharing it with Premiere Elements, particularly in older versions of Premiere Elements (including version 10) and pre-version 7 64-bit versions of Windows. It might be worth experimenting and downloading the free trial of Premiere Elements 11 to see if it can see your burner. Most likely it will have no problems.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Sat May 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the expert advice, as usually. Ended up reinstalling PRE 10 and the problem went away.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Good news, thanks for the update Skip :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 am

Great news, Skip!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10