They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cannot record back project onto DV Tape

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Cannot record back project onto DV Tape

Postby maryfs » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 pm

I am attempting to rough edit several hundred hours of video footage on Mini DV, much of it taken on a Canon GL-2, then store it back on Mini DV tape until I have time for further editing. I can use a computer but am still very much an amateur in finding my way around the back hallways.
I am using a Sony GV-D1000 Video Walkman for my tapes – a system that worked fine on Win XP, I might add.
I have Premiere Elements 10 on both computers. But interestingly, my smaller (Vidcomm) computer will not start up Moviemaker (I saw the suggestion about saving as .avi then loading into Moviemaker and transferring back onto DV tape from that program instead of Premiere from Muvipix a few years ago) since it has no graphics card I guess– and of course I know have no firewire card in the big computer (Vidjet) – see the story below.
I have Win 7, Svc Pack 1 (64 bit OS) on both computers.
My computer set up now consists of TWO computers with an Iogear KVM switch between them and here is why – just recently have I had time to address my boxes of Mini DV tapes and learn to edit them. But last spring I upgraded my old computer running on XP to a new one, called VIDJET.
VIDJET: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT440 (DirectX Version 10)
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total Available graphics memory (I do not do gaming)
Primary HD (my C Drive) 50 GB Free (119GB Total)
Secondary HD (my E Drive on which I keep lots of stuff and all my files & video projects) 779GB Free (932 GB Total)
Unfortunately, when I started to download tapes, I realized my new computer had NO IEEE 1394 outlets! So my computer guru helped me install a Firewire card (Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller) but the Sony did not show up either as a device on my computer on Win Explorer nor even in Premiere. At the time, there seemed nothing to be done except to set up a secondary computer just for downloading and uploading footage from and to tapes, transferring back and forth to VIDJET for editing, and hope it worked with that setup.
So my second computer, which is very simple (I think), is called VIDCOMM.
VIDCOMM: System Mfrr ASUS
Intel(R) Core ™ i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Graphics None
Gaming graphics None
Primary HD (C Drive and the only HD on this computer) 410 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Well, after all that, VIDCOMM did not pick up the Sony either – anywhere. So after hours searching on the web, I came across the “fix” put out by Stage One Productions and referenced by Steve I think on the Muvipix thread about Fixing Firewire in Win 7. That worked for uploading video onto VIDCOMM at last! I transferred the footage to VIDJET, plunked a few clips on the timeline with a title and a couple of dissolves, saved that project and transferred it back to VIDCOMM. After confirming that is showed up properly in Premiere, I expected to simply “Share” by “Record to DV Tape” and was REALLY SURPRISED that it would not work in that direction. Premiere picks up my Sony Walkman and controls it when I try to record back to tape but no data is transferred – there is nothing, NADA, on the tape.
My computer guru, whom I have to work with long distance these days, is not a user of videocams or software. So I think I need help from someone who is conversant in all those areas at this point. We live in a fairly remote part of MT, although within reach of Bozeman, so the chance of getting local help is also pretty dim. Can you give me any help getting this last little piece of my system working? I sure have my fingers crossed!
Sorry about the length of this post but I figured the more info up front might save time in the long run.
Mary
maryfs
New User
New User

Re: Cannot record back project onto DV Tape

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm

It sounds like you've found your solution then, right, Mary? By using the Legacy Driver fix,no doubt, for Windows 7?

Regardless, welcome to Muvipix!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 pm

The problem isn't solved, Steve. She can't export to tape.

Mary, check your project settings. There should be a "playback" button under General settings. In Playback Settings, there is an "External Device" in the Export section. Can you select the camera using that? If you can, does that solve the export problem?
Bob

Postby maryfs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Bob - Bingo!! You are fantastic. That solved the problem and I am so grateful! I thought for sure it must be the lack of a graphics card in that computer but this was such a beautifully simple missing step I had no clue was there. Thanks very much.
maryfs
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10