They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video does not play smooth while editing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Video does not play smooth while editing

Postby videofromgeorge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi, could someone help direct me in the right direction? I am using PE 10 and editing in AVCHD. Usually I have no problem. I can edit just fine, and build videos on the timeline, but when I go to preview the video, it does not play. The CTI moves along, but the video stops. If I hit pause, it plays a little, then stills again. I cannot preview my work until I save it, and watch it as a file. But this is time consuming. I have the Muvipix guide to PE 10 and tried the troubleshooting tips. I have 300 GB of storage available, defragmented, and updated Quicktime. Still having the issue. Thanks.
videofromgeorge
New User
New User

Re: Video does not play smooth while editing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 am

Welcome to Muvipix, George!

Can you give us some more information?

As we show you in the book, version 10 needs to be manually set up for your specific video in order to function efficiently. What project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project? You can see, but not change, these settings under the Edit menu.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Did you use Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to your computer? (Remember that version 10 can not work with 1080p video, by the way. That function wasn't added until version 11.)

Finally, just for reference, can you let us know what operating system you're using, what processor you have and how much RAM you have? Many people include this information as part of their signature (as I do below) using the User Control Panel at the top of this forum page. That way it will appear with your post whenever you ask a question.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videofromgeorge » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Hello Steve! OK, I am using a Sony HDR-XR100. It is a full 1920x1080 AVCHD camcorder. For the preset, under the AVCHD tab, I chose Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel. I added the footage directly from the camera through a USB cable. All the images loaded just fine, I have 147 files (shortest 10 seconds, longest 2 minutes) that I can view just fine and edit just fine. The problem starts with the preview. The CTI moves along, but the images are mostly stills and if the videos do play, they are rough and choppy. I have a Toshiba AMD A6-3400 APU. Windows 7 64 bit with Radeon HD Graphics. Memory 6.00 GB I currently have 3.00 of free space. Is there anything here that you see wrong? Everything else works fine. I can even share the project to Youtube or save to my computer and it flows perfect. I just can't play it in the timeline. I can manually move the CTI over the clips, and see the clips. If there is anything else I need to try or change, please let me know. Thanks!

George
videofromgeorge
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:23 am

That AMD processor is a little low-end, by AVCHD standards, but it should still work. (And by "3.00" of free space, I hope you mean 3 terrabytes of free space and not 3 gigabytes of free space!)

I assume your imported video is in the .m2ts format. Is that right?

What mode did you shoot your video in? Was it shot in 30i (and not 60p, which version 10 does not support)?

When you add video to the timeline in Timeline mode, is there a red line above the clips? This would indicate a mismatch between video specs and project settings, which could definitely cause your lag.

Also, as experiment, try removing the photos from your project. Troubleshooting photo problems is a whole separate issue -- so let's get the video working first.

Also, if you're using music or other audio in your project, ensure that these are all WAV files. MP3s can choke the program's playback performance.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10