They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project Settings for Audio Slideshow

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Project Settings for Audio Slideshow

Postby Johnny » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 pm

I've used Premiere Elements many times to render audio slideshows that I created in Photoshop Elements, and I haven't had the following problem before. When I click Get Media to bring the slideshow into Premiere Elements, just the lower half or so of each image is visible in the preview area. I've tried this by changing Project Settings from NTSC-DV-Widescreen to NTSC-DV-Standard a few different times, but the same thing happens in Premiere Elements.

Any idea what might be going on and what I could try?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Processor: i7-4790 Processor @3.6 GHz
24GB RAM
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Software: Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Project Settings for Audio Slideshow

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:55 am

It sounds as though you are creating your slideshow in the Elements Organizer and then porting it over to Premiere Elements.

This works great if, on the Output option screen, you select the option to Edit in Premiere Elements. It appears you're using the option to output it as a WMV file and then importing that WMV file into Premiere Elements.

A recent Microsoft update has messed up the way Premiere Elements reads WMV files, and that is what is causing the bug you're seeing. Here's Adobe's solution.

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057. Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem
For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files. Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ ... mport-or.h tml
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Johnny » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Steve,

Thank you for your message. Yes, I had originally output the slideshow from Photoshop Elements as a WMV file. Also, I just recently read the posting about the Microsoft Windows update (on the Adobe forum) and resolved the problem by uninstalling that update.

Before doing that, I had changed the output from Photoshop Elements to PRE to "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor," but that created a different problem. It didn't recognize several of the images at all, so I had solid black areas of the project in PRE, in between images that were recognized by PRE. Do you have any idea why it might do that?

Anyway, the project did work in PRE (from a WMV file) after I uninstalled the updates, but I'm curious why I'm having the trouble with the "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor" option.

I'm going to check out that link from Adobe that you included.
Processor: i7-4790 Processor @3.6 GHz
24GB RAM
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Software: Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Don't forget to make sure that any photos you use in your slideshow are resized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size, Johnny!

Often using oversized photos in your slideshows can result in black or blank slides when you port them over to Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10