They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to best combine .MTS and .MOV files in the same project?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

How to best combine .MTS and .MOV files in the same project?

Postby miwo76 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am

I'm fortunate to have access to 3 cameras shooting at 1080p video.

I won't get into the details of the equipment, but I'll frame my question that all 3 can shoot at the same ratios (16:9), same frame rate and resolution etc. and the same h.264 codec. However, 2 of the 3 camera wrap the file in a .MOV file and the 3rd camera is a AVHCD type camera that wraps the file in a .MTS file. I'd love to use the cameras for both A and B roll footage in the same room for example.

Is it possible to combine all 3 files types, unconverted, into the same project? If not, any suggestions for tools to convert from .MTS to .MOV that work in Windows Vista 32 bit?

(here are the details of the cameras: Lumix GF2; Olympus OM-D EM-5 and Veho Muvi HD10 action camera: the Lumix shoots .MTS files; the Olympus and Veho shoot .MOV files)
miwo76
New User
New User

Re: How to best combine .MTS and .MOV files in the same proj

Postby momoffduty » Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 am

Hi miwo76 & welcome to Muvipix! Sorry, I can't be of any help as I don't use PrEl. Someone should be along soon to answer your question. Have you tried to place all the file types in one project?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Gerlinde » Mon May 13, 2013 11:24 am

Hi miwo76, and welcome to Muvipix from me too.
To answer your question, I would say it should not pose to big of a problem to combine different formats in one project. But reading that you are using Windows Vista 32 bit makes me wonder about your computer. It sounds it might not be up to the task. The video formats you have listed require a lot of computing power. Maybe you could give us some more details on your computer specs so we may be better able to give you some recommendations.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 14, 2013 8:16 am

Personally, I would very much recommend against combining those three formats in a version 10 project. However, in version 11, you can combine several formats in the same project with usually terrific results.

In any event, I'd recommend doing a number of test drives -- all the way from shoot to output to disc -- and make sure the workflow will work as you expect before diving into the actual project. I haven't researched the specs on your cameras, but sometimes still cameras can use some strange codecs that can make the process less than automatic.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10