They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE10 will not display video, audio only (see details)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

PE10 will not display video, audio only (see details)

Postby DrDtMM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:12 pm

When starting up PE10, after not having used it in about 4 months, I received an error message that read approximately:

"We have detected an incompatible display driver--please update. Intel Bear Lake B 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4906"

When I went to an Intel download site I was unable to download this driver.

I have noticed no problems other than with PE10.

On July 28, I had reported this as a problem with mp4 files converted from flv, but it turned out to be more significant than that.

In any case, PE10 starts up, but when I bring up a finished project from the past, it will play audio, but not video. I am dead in the water.
DrDtMM
New User
New User

Re: PE10 will not display video, audio only (see details)

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Try using the Intel Driver Update Utility: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics. It will scan your system and determine the most current driver for the Intel video hardware you have installed.

When Premiere Elements detects a video driver compatibility issue, it often writes a file called BadDrivers.txt. You can try deleting that file and see if that stops the message. I don't recall whether that file is hidden. You may need to enable viewing hidden files.

For Windows XP:

C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0/BadDrivers.txt

For Windows Vista or 7:

C:/ProgramData\Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0/BadDrivers.txt

If you continue to have problems and you are using a desktop system, you may want to install an NVIDIA or AMD video card.
Bob

Postby DrDtMM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:52 pm

The previous solution didn't work because the automatic driver downloader found a problem. It thought that my Chrome browser did not have a current Java. I reloaded Java and still it wouldn't work. I tried using the manual download, but I didn't know exactly what I was looking for and nothing matched the error message. Then I just found this with Google:
-----------------------------------------
How do I correct the problem with the display driver in Premiere Elements 9?
Dec 23, 2010 7:35 AM
First, ensure you do have the latest driver from the nVidia or ATI web site.

Then go to Help/Check for Updates to ensure you have version 9.01.

Then, in XP, go to C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/ALL USERS/APPLICATION DATA/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/9.0 and remove or rename the file BadDrivers.txt.
--------------------------------------
I am using PE10. How much of the above applies? I will try using the nVidia or ATI website to see if I can get the latest driver, but isn't nVidia Intel?
DrDtMM
New User
New User

Postby DrDtMM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:09 pm

The ATI Scanner found NO out of date display drivers. Marvelous
DrDtMM
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

The NVIDIA and ATI sites are for NVIDIA and ATI video cards and don't apply to systems using Intel Graphics.

I tried the Intel scanner in the current version of Chrome and it worked on my system. Not sure why it didn't work for you. The scanner is the best way to identify the specific driver for your system. You might also try going to the computer manufacturer's website and see if they offer a current driver. On Windows, you should have Internet Explorer installed, you might try that to see if the scanner runs.

What operating system are you using and is it a laptop or desktop?

You can go ahead and see if you have a baddriver.txt file and remove it.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 10