They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Limited number of menu markers

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Limited number of menu markers

Postby Retired » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:44 pm

I am using PrE 10 with Win 7 64bit.

I have been editing some older videos taken 20+ years ago with a VHS camcorder. The tapes have been converted/captured and edited successfully, the final version is about 1hr 25min long.

I started adding 'Main' and 'Scene' menu markers and encountered a warning/error that there cannot be more than 25 menu markers --and I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the video.

Is there any way to add more markers (I'll need approximately 40) with PrE 10, or is there any other s/w that will do what I need?
Retired
New User
New User

Re: Limited number of menu markers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Many of us Premiere Elements users do our editing in it but author our DVDs in DVD Architect Studio, an amazing $39 from Sony Creative Software.

Short of being able to add multiple audio tracks or optional subtitles, it can do pretty much anything you can dream in a DVD or BluRay menu.

We like it so much here on Muvipix, that we've written a book and created a series of free Basic Training tutorials for it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Retired » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for the quick response, just a couple of additional questions:

1) Is there/what is the limit on maximum Menu Markers ?

2) Can the rendered video be burned to a file instead of directly to a disc ?
Retired
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 am

1) Is there/what is the limit on maximum Menu Markers ?

Yes, there is a limit. The number of chapter/menu markers is limited to 99 by the DVD specification. A DVD title cannot have more than 99 chapters regardless of the software used to create it.

2) Can the rendered video be burned to a file instead of directly to a disc ?

Yes. The DVD files and folders can be written to a folder on a hard drive instead of burning directly to a disc. You can use a disc burning program, such as the free imgburn utility, to create a DVD from the folder at a later time.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 am

I would ask the question of how you are using the scene(chapter) and menu markers?
I've had videos that ran 2 hours (a real no-no by the way, anything over 1 hour is too long for home movies and they really should be under 40 minutes) and never used more than 12 scene markers and only 3 menu markers. For one thing it gets confusing for the view navigating through all the scene menu pages. Chapters should only separate parts of the story; growing up, getting married, having kids, something like that, not a chapter menu for every image or clip.

Menu markers separate only main areas of the video; Play Movie, Outtakes, Slideshow, Scene Menu

Programs like Encore DVD let you create chapter playlists and other features that help to keep the menu neat and clean.
I would think that DVD Arch would have similar features. If you are going to create a complex menu it will be hard to do in Premiere Elements, that's not what it is made for.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Retired » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Thank you all for your information and answers.

Chuck, I understand your comments regarding the length of a video and normally do keep the length of an 'event video' (birthday, holiday, etc) to 40 to 60 minutes and limit main and scene menu markers to 5 - 10 or so.

This specific project is to convert the VHS videos of a 20 year old family trip Israel. The original videos are on three 2hr VHS tapes (averaging 1hr 50+ minutes) covering a 2 week period of touring. Each tape documents 3 to 6 days of the trip. I have completed editing the first VHS tape to 1 DVD. My plan is/was to use a 'Main' marker to designate each day; and a 'Scene' marker for the significant locations visited each day.

I understand that it is very unlikely that anyone would sit and watch even a single DVD at one sitting; hence the need for the numerous markers to enable a viewer to select a particular day, or select a particular location visited.

I am currently attempting to see if I can get the number of markers down to 25; and will also have a go at using DVD Architect.
Retired
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Due to potential quality issues I would suggest that you split each tape onto two DVDs, that should help with the marker issue as well ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Due to potential quality issues I would suggest that you split each tape onto two DVDs, that should help with the marker issue as well ;)

Exactly what I was thinking Chuck. Good advice. :tup:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 10