They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

All Audio Muted on Startup

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

All Audio Muted on Startup

Postby borgie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Win7 Ult 64-bit: 12 Gb RAM: 720 Gb unused HD.
On 95% of the time, when starting Prel10 and load a project, all audio and sountrack tracks are muted. Tried clicking various things to no avail. Only way is to shut down and re-start Prel10. Upto now, this works.
Note: I have just upgraded to Prel10 from Prel9 last week. I followed the installation instructions (Disk2 followed by Disk4). I have had no similar problems with previous versions (2, 4, 7 and 9). I have Steve's Guide books to Adobe Prel 7 and ditto to Prel 10 (Color Version). Would appreciate pointers, if any. Thanks.
PC: Dell Alienware 51 R2, 32GB Quad Channel DDR4, 256GB SSD
Op System: Win8.1 x64
Camcorder: Sony HDR PJ 760VE
Profession: Hobbyist
borgie

Re: All Audio Muted on Startup

Postby Peru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:46 pm

:wcm:
Welcome to Muvipix!

Maybe reinstall Pre El 10?

I'm sure one of the experts will post soon with other possible solutions.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi, borgie. Welcome to Muvipix.

How are your audio tracks muted? I didn't even know that was option in Premiere Elements (except in the Audio Mixer) -- and then never as a default setting. Or are you just saying you can't hear any audio or that you can only hear audio if you raise the gain or volume levels on the audio tracks? I'm just not quite clear what you're saying.

Meantime, be sure to tell us also what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is.

Also, tell us if any of your audio only files are a format other than WAVs.

Also tell us which project settings you selected when you started your Premiere Elements project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 am

Hi Borgie and a welcome from me. :wcm:

Just one other question if I might add to the list above. Is this a PrElv9 project that you have opened in PrElv10 for completion?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby borgie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry - by muting I meant that I can't hear anything from the two tracks Audio1 and Soundtrack. They are definitely not muted in the Audio Mixer.
The camcorder is a Sony Handycam MegaPixel, which I've had for some years and my first preference. The capture format is DV Standard Screen. The audio files used in the Soundtrack are mp3 format.
The project was started in Prel9 and saved in Prel9 without soundtrack (only Video1/Audio1) in .AVI format. Started in Prel10 by loading the .AVI files.
Funny thing about this is that it only happens first time after turning my PC on for the day (Dell Studio XPS).
I will do the uninstall/reinstall next. I will also try starting a new project in Prel10 and will let you guys know then.
Many thanks.
borgie

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:33 pm

If you leave the Audio Mixer open when you play your video, do you see its meters pulsing -- registering audio -- even if you don't actually hear it? This is very important to know, since it will tells us whether there's a problem with your audio or if your software is just improperly configured.

Also, I'd recommend you use WAV files rather than MP3s in Premiere Elements. You'll get much better performance from the program if you do. You can convert them using the free download Audacity.

Finally, please tell us the model number of your camcorder and how you got the video from the camcorder to your computer. You seem to imply that it's miniDV tape captured over FireWire -- but we don't want to assume if that's not the case.

This could be an issue with your opening a project in version 10 that you started in version 9 -- something we very much recommend against doing (including in my version 10 book!) because opening old version projects with newer versions of the program nearly ALWAYS leads to buggy behavior like this. This is less often true with versions 9 and 10, which are pretty similar. But it definitely could be at the root of the issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby borgie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Leaving AudioMixer on when playing video I see the levels changing normally but no sound. Closing the project and re-opening does not correct the problem but closing the app and restarting does.
Thanks for the wav/mp3 tip. Have Audacity and will do.
Camcorder model number: DCR-PC109E.
Your assumption on the capturing method is correct.
I just received the books from Amazon "...Guide to..." & "...Cool tricks and Hot Tips " two days ago and didn't have time to go through them. I now see the warning on p28.
Before uninstalling/installing I will locate a few clips on the camcorder mini-tape and start a brand new project in prel10.
borgie

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:03 am

This means that your project's audio is not muted, borgie. The program just isn't properly configured.

Try going to Edit/Preferences and going to the Audio Hardware page. Try changing the settings for Default Device.

Also try changing the settings on the Audio Output Mapping page.

If that doesn't work, try right-clicking on the Monitor panel and selecting Playback Settings. Make sure that Desktop Audio is selected.

If none of those settings work, give us some details on your audio card and how your audio is set up. (Also, make sure you've got the latest RealTek HD Audio Codecs from
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby borgie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Creating a new project on prel10 does not fix the problem.
In Audio Hardware, drop-down list 'Default Device' has only ONE item "Premiere Elements WDM Sound" which is not changeable. Pressing ASIO button -> Audio Hardware Settings -> Output tab, I have, already selected, "Speakers(RealTek High Definition Audio)" only. Input tab, nothing is selected or enabled.
Audio Output Mapping page drop-down list Map Out for: shows "Premiere Elements WDM Sound" also unchangeable and "Speakers(Realtek High Definition Audio) -1 & -2 also both unchangeable.
In "Playback Settings", Destop Audio was, and still is, selected.
My sound card is "Integrated High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio" - one of the options I selected when I bought the Dell Studio XPS PC.
I have requested Win7 to update driver software by searching on-line for my device drivers 'RealTek HD Audio' and 'Intel(R) Display Audio'. Win reports best driver is already installed for both.
What I will do next is to uninstall/reinstall Prel10.
Thanks for your support.
borgie

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 am

Well, something is not correctly configured between Premiere Elements and your operating system, borgie. There's every indication of that.

Did you download the new HD Audio Codecs from the link I posted above? Do that. Don't trust Windows Update to do it.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else to tell you. It's in there. Just some toggle that needs to be flipped. It's not a problem with the program. Your Windows Sound is just configured differently than your Premiere Elements sound.

But if you've ensured that the program's preferences are set up exactly like your Windows Sounds preferences, I'm not sure where else to tell you to look.

Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

Or, if you're in the Milwaukee/Chicago area, you can come by the house and we can look together.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby borgie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I have now noticed that sometimes I get the same problem using Cyberlink Power DVD 11 and when I elect to watch movie trailers on IMDB. So problem is probably with my equipment. Funny though that I don't have problems running prel9!!! I think I will put up with it.
Thanks Steve for your assistance and for the visit invitation. Not very likely though, Australia is a long distance away!
borgie

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, if I'm ever in your corner of the outback, I hope we can grab lunch together anyway.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10