They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project presets and conversion help for newcomer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Project presets and conversion help for newcomer

Postby Stacey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I am very,very new to all of this, so sorry about the very basic questions, I feel like I'm learning a new language..after reading through Steve's book and his article on converting I still really need some help. I have a JVD Everio hard disk camera GZ-HD620, mts format,full HD 1920x 1080 with 1080/60P output, AVCHD standard, H.264 (which is the codec I guess,from what I read), stereo audio, using PE 10. After reading how important the format is, I want to get it right. Computer is Dell Inspirion 1764 intel core i3, m 330, 2.13 GHz, 4 GB ram- 3.8 usable, windows 7 64 bit.

1) If I don't convert the video first, which preset is best- the AVCHD presets or the ones listed for hard drive camcorders? I didn't see one in either place that seemed to match up, lots of i, but not p..does that matter? Is it a problem that it's 60fps? So what's the best choice or don't even bother with this and just convert?

2) If I convert first, which sounds like the best idea from the little I can understand so far, sounds like I should convert to MPEG or MPEG2 or M2T, right?? If so,I really don't know the difference between these to make a good choice. Should I use PE to convert? Saw choices under share>computer>MPEG but wasn't sure about the differences. For ex, what's the diff between the HD and HDTV settings, aren't they both MPEG2's? Not sure what to choose or if should I use a converter outside elements to get the best results?

I am looking to take my home videos which I've collected (including some photos), edit them and make HD dvds for my family and kids to have. I'm starting one now to give to my daughter for her sweet 16. So I was thinking in gereral of working with a 1280x 720 size which would be more manageable and still HD, is that a good idea? And I'm sure you're thankful..lastly.. should I be coverting and editing in the output specs of how the dvd will be made?
Thank You so much!
Stacey
New User
New User

Re: Project presets and conversion help for newcomer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Are you sure your Everio outputs 60p, Stacey?

The program includes a project preset made especially for Everio HD cams. Look in the settings for Hard Disk/Flash Memory Camcorders. The HD 1080 30 project settings are designed specifically for the JVC GZ series.

Unless your camcorder outputs 60p -- in which case we've got a whole new breed of animal to tame.

So there should be no need to convert. Just set your project up with that project preset, then plug your camcorder into your computer with a USB cable and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera tool to port the files from the camcorder into your project.

And welcome to Muvipix!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stacey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! Well, I'm not really sure of anything, but I have the info about my model that I got from the JVC site and the way it's written is 1080/60P output. However, when I checked the properties of one of my videos it says 29 fps, and nothing about whether it is i or p, so who knows?

I was having problems with PE not working well- slow, crashing etc. so it's on my d drive and working fine now, but I don't know how long that will last. I thought if I converted down to a smaller size like the 720 it wouldn't be so demanding on my computer.. if I have the correct preset to begin with when I start a project is that just as helpful for reducing the work for the computer as if I convert it?
Stacey
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 am

Your computer is a bit on the low-end for editing hi-def video (particularly since it's a single-drive laptop in addition to only having an i3 processor). But you may be able to get it to work to a limited extent.

Just use the project settings I listed above and render (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline.

If that still doesn't work, let us know and we may be able to recommend some conversion options for you.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 am

Welcome Stacey to Muvipix!

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Stacey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Thank you very much and thank you Cheryl for the welcome! btw can you change the speed of animated titles or text..haven't been able to find keyframes for them when looking at the properties. Also, when looking at properties of a clip using animated text I can't find the name of the selected style. When I forget which animation I selected and want to reuse it, how can I find out the name so I don't have to go through them all?
Stacey
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Welcome Stacey. Good to have you on board! :meet:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Stacey wrote: btw can you change the speed of animated titles or text.. Also, when looking at properties of a clip using animated text I can't find the name of the selected style. When I forget which animation I selected and want to reuse it, how can I find out the name so I don't have to go through them all?

To make a title appear longer on screen, in the timeline drag the end out for the length you need.

As to the animated titles' names someone else should have the answer. (I don't have PrEl10.)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that the answer is the same, to drag the title/animation out (to the right) on the timeline to make it slower, drag it to the left to make it faster. Steve will know if this is correct or not :)

Welcome to Muvipix Stacey :meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Cheryl and Chuck are exactly right. The longer the clip on your timeline, the slower the animation.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10