They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is "Shared Technologies"?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

What is "Shared Technologies"?

Postby Little Nac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 am

Hi all.
I downloaded PE10 and Photoshop 10, installed them no problems. I decided to burn them to DVDs rather than download them again.
I have just had to reformat my drive and reinstall Windows 7. Now when I try to re-install Adobe PE10, it says that it has encounted a problems with "Shared Technologies" then rolls back the installation. If I download it again from the Adobe Site it is OK. I tried to install it on my other computer from the disc and the same problem with Shared Technologies. But I can download it from the site again, and it installs fine. I would rather keep it on a disc than have to download it each time I need to format my drive or whatever.
Any suggestions.
I have been onto the Adobe Forum, but not much info there.
Thanks in advance.
L.N. :pull:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: What is "Shared Technologies"?

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 am

Shared Technologies are the common support applications that can shared between multiple Adobe applications. For example, the Adobe Help system, the embedded Adobe Player, the Adobe Camera Raw plugin, and others. Typically that message occurs when an existing copy of a shared application is in use or loaded and the installation program attempts to replace the existing program. Because it's in use, the program can't be replaced and the installation fails.

If you have ANY Adobe applications running, close them. Check task manager and see if any Adobe applications or processes are running (that's two separate tabs in task manager). If so, end them. Then try the installation again.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 am

Found this after a Google search. Don't know if it is correct but could be worth a try. :-D

"For those having problems on Windows 7 64 Bit with failed to install shared technologies. Move the install folder to the root drive and run the setup from there."
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Little Nac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Thank you all for the answers.
I did read most of the info on the Adobe Forum you Guys suggested. When I tried to install it from the DVD, the only Adobe application I had on the Computer was Adobe Reader, nothing else. This is because I had just re-formatted my drive and re-installed Win. 7. I turned off the Spam and Virus protectors etc., and tried about three times from the DVD but no such luck. Then I found it on my HD (my "F" Drive actually) where I had originally downloaded it (the DVD was burnt from this folder). I decided to give it a go from the HD and voila, it worked and is now up and running. As I said earlier, if I try on any of our computers to run it from the DVD it comes up with the "Shared Technologies" problem, but if I download a copy onto each computer it works. Can't understand it! This still doesn't really solve the problem. If I didn't have it on my other drive, it would mean that each time I need to re-install it, I would have to download it again and again and again. That's why I like to burn it to a DVD.
L.N. :pull:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

It's certainly strange.

There should have been an installation log created somewhere that would have given more information about the specific point of failure. But, that probably was overwritten when you did the subsequent install. Something to look into if you ever run into it again though.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 10