They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How many copies of a media file will there be??

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

How many copies of a media file will there be??

Postby knockatoone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Back in PE 7 I learned to appreciate the "Organizer" and then went away to Vegas Land but came back for the 64 bit PE10.
As I think many do,I keep all of my media organized on an external Hdd. If I use the PE Organizer and do a video I will end up with additional copies in the Media Panel and on the Time line. I know that the tiime line (prel file)contains addresses to the media rather than the actual media.. So how many copies of each still and video will I have on my PC and external Hdd - sounds like 3 but not sure if the Organizer and Media Panel have actual copies of the files.
Also -if I make changes to a video on the time line - which of the copies will be chnanged as well ?? I assume only the copy in the media panel ???

Thanks, K
knockatoone

Re: How many copies of a media file will there be??

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Unless you make extra copies of the files yourself, there will only be one copy of the source stills and video files.

When you import a file into the Organizer or a Premiere Elements project, no additional copies are created. The edits you make are non-destructive and do not alter the source files. If you have a red line above the timeline and you press enter to render, preview files will be created. But, these are separate from the source files and can safely be deleted when the project is done.
Bob

Re: How many copies of a media file will there be??

Postby knockatoone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Bob,
Thanks, K
knockatoone

Return to PRE Version 10