They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Corrupt preferences file in PE10 organizer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Corrupt preferences file in PE10 organizer

Postby richlab » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:43 pm

(Steve, I just bought your book on PE 10 and the other one on cool tricks and tips. I think they'll be a great help).

Would someone please help with this: The preferences file in the PE10 organizer on my computer, where I originally downloaded PE10, works fine. I later downloaded PE10 to my wife's computer using the same serial number as the one that came with my download. Her preferences file in the PE10 organizer will not open. When I try to open it, it says "loading" and then just freezes.

(I wanted to turn off the auto-analyzer in her preferences. And of course, we need access to the preferences for other things).

I checked Adobe help on their Web site and followed the instructions for deleting the preferences file in the PE 10 organizer (it was not easy to find; they did not have directions for Windows 7). I then restarted PE10 again -- the instructions suggested that PE10 would rebuild the preferences file. It isn't working. Every time I restart PE10 and go to the organizer, I can see all the video clips, but when I try to open the preferences, it still says "loading" and nothing happens. It just freezes.

I even signed in under name on her computer when the "welcome" screen appears. I thought that perhaps you have to be signed in as a registered user to access the preferences file.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Richard
richlab
New User
New User

Re: Corrupt preferences file in PE10 organizer

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Richard. Just wanted to say "Welcome to Muvipix". :wcm:

Someone will be along soon that can help with your query.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:57 am

Hi, Rich. Welcome to Muvipix -- and thanks for supporting the books!

You don't say what you DID try, but one common way to reset preferences is the hold down the left side Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys as you start the program.

If that doesn't work, there may be other issues with your computer. How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your wife's C drive? The program requires at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragmented space to open.

It also may help to run a program like Advanced System Care, a free program that I run every week and it keeps even my 6 year old computer running better than new.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

If you've got ample free space on your C drive, this tool can clean up and defragment the necessary space.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby richlab » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:14 am

Dear Steve and other forum members:

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didn't work. When I held down the Shift-Alt-Ctl keys as I started PE10, I did NOT see a message asking me if I want to rebuild the preferences file. I tried several different ways of holding down the keys -- when launching PE10, when starting the Organizer. Thus, the preferences file is still corrupted.

(The first time I tried this, it took me to the welcome screen. I then set it so it bypassed the welcome screen and opened PE10 directly. But even then, with the Shift-Alt-Ctl keys held down, I did not see a message asking if I wanted to rebuild the preferences file.

My wife's computer has plenty of clean hard-drive space. (We use Norton's 360 to get rid of unnecessary files, protect against viruses, etc.). She uses Windows 7, has 8gb of RAM, and a 2gb video card. I don't think her computer is the problem.

As I mentioned yesterday, I deleted the preferences file on her computer in PE10 organizer and replaced it with the one from my computer. (Preferences works on my computer). But on hers, it still says "loading" when I try to open preferences on her computer.

Would you please tell me these things:

1) At what point should I hold down the shift-alt-ctrl keys? When starting PE10? The organizer? Should I turn off the welcome screen so it goes straight to the program when starting?
2) Where is the preferences file in PE10 organizer that I should have deleted?
3) If I do find the right preferences file on her computer and delete it, will PE10 rebuild the preferences file in organizer when I restart the program?
(I thought I did this yesterday but it didn't re-create the program).

Thanks again for your help.

Richard
richlab
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 am

Unlike some of the pro programs, when you clear the preferences in Premiere Elements, you don't get a message. The program just rebuilds the prefs. So it's sounds like you've done what you could there. And it sounds like corrupted prefs ins't the problem.

Is your C drive defragged as well as relatively clean?

Try turning off Norton 360 and launching the program. Norton programs are so intrusive that many techs recommend removing them as soon as you buy your computer!

But it really sounds to me less like a corruption than it does a lack of free, contiguous hard drive space. I know you say you've got "plenty" -- but if it's fragmented, the program still won't be able to use it to open up.

Is it fair to assume you've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby richlab » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

Dear Steve:

My wife has been working for a while on a project in organizer -- adding a lot of tags -- so I was hesitant to uninstall and reinstall out of fear we'll lose that work.

Can you tell me how to transfer the organizer clips and tags to an external hard drive? Then I would uninstall/reinstall and try to put back the clips and tags. Is this possible?
richlab
New User
New User

Postby richlab » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:50 am

Steve:

I just checked and her hard drive does not need to be defragmented. And I turned off Norton's firewall and anti-virus functions and launched PE10 with the Shift-Alt-Ctl keys pressed and it's doing the same thing.

If you can tell me how to copy the clips and tags for a project to a hard drive, I'll probably uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks.
richlab
New User
New User

Postby Gerlinde » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 am

Hi Richard, I don't have PE10 - still using version 7 or 9. But this should work still the same. Try to do a repair install before you completely uninstall the program.
Just insert the program installation disc or if you have a download version, click the installation .exe file. You will be asked what you want to do. Choose repair install.

If you can tell me how to copy the clips and tags for a project to a hard drive

I don't know how this works in the new program, so maybe wait for some input from Steve on this. In version 9, the Organizer has an option in the File menu to "Write Keyword Tag and File properties Info to Photo".
This will keep all the added tags in place, even after creating a new catalog , and after reinstalling the program.

As I mentioned yesterday, I deleted the preferences file on her computer in PE10 organizer and replaced it with the one from my computer.

This may be part of your trouble, I don't think you can transfer the preferences file from one computer to an other computer. You should delete this file.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 am

Unfortunately, Gerlinde, Adobe removed the Repair option a couple of generations ago.

But you can uninstall, run a registry and reinstall without fear of losing any work in progress!

EDIT:
That should be run a registry cleaner/tuner. Thanks, Chuck.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: run a registry

:what:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Rich. I totally agree with your approach of not running Auto Analyzer. Unfortunately I don't have an immediate answer as to why you can not successfully modify the Organizer Preferences on your second computer. Here are some specific comments that hopefully will assist your troubleshooting process.

1-- The answer to the question of when to hold down the keys is - As the Organizer is opening (starting)
Reset the Elements Organizer 10 preferences.
Hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys (Windows) immediately after you choose to open Elements Organizer 10 or Elements Organizer on (from) the Welcome Screen.

Note: timing may be tricky, so do try several times.

2 -- I agree with the comment recommending against copying Preferences from one computer to another. I can not immediately identify a specific reason why it would fail, bit I would personally not do it.

While I am looking for more specific info for v10 on Windows 7 and hopefully can find someone who has the same W7 and PE 10 environment as you, I have some questions--

Is that a Windows 7 32 bit or a Windows 7 64 bit ? Do you also have Photoshop Elements 10 installed and if yes, which was installed first, Premiere Elements 10 or Photoshop Elements 10 ?

3 -- "Write Keyword Tag and File properties Info to Photo"

In my personal experimenting with earlier versions, this Write Keyword Tag command did NOT write keyword tags to video files. I can't say if this has changed in v10: however I suspect that it has not changed. (Note that the results could possibly be different for different formats of video files depending on what metadata formats are supported by various types of video files.) So I doubt that command can solve saving the applied keyword tags for video files. FYI - Other alternatives can be discussed if you can't solve the Preferences problem. For example, there is an Organizer Backup command which will backup both the Organizer catalog (containing the keyword tags) and the media (photo and video) files-- however I would be hesitant to use that Backup command until I knew that I had a good Organizer Preferences file.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, Gerlinde, Adobe removed the Repair option a couple of generations ago.

Just found this is not correct. The >Repair Catalog< option is still there ( even in PSE10 ), only in a different place. You find it in File> Catalog...., when highlighting the catalog you wish to repair, the option to Optimize or to Repair becomes available.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:51 am

Great find, G!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:06 am

:tx: Steve.

Ain't I smart? :-

I have currently the trial of PE10/PSE10 installed and I was checking out the Organizer. After a while, it kept crashing on me when I tagged my video and photos. All of a sudden a message popped up, telling me my data base file might be corrupted and I should try to repair it :what:
The message also told me where to find the Repair option. How cool is that? :TU:
Gerlinde

Return to PRE Version 10