They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Avid Studio

Lots of discussion brewing on this awesome consumer video editing software. Would love to hear from experienced users.

Avid Studio

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 am

The pro Avid editor is going to have a little brother (or sister!!!)... Avid Studio:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1297792714.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Avid Studio

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 am

So is it being developed by the folks at Avid -- or the folks at Pinnacle...
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:42 am

Good question Steve. Avid bought Pinnacle, they scrapped Pinnacle Liquid the pro version and kept Pinnacle Studio the consumer version.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 pm

If you want to edit video, or run a field camera for that matter, at most of the TV Stations or Major Networks you have to know AVID. I have heard that it is not an easy program to learn or get used to, Premiere is much easier.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Some more details... not cheap at $169 but it comes with many commercial effects plug-ins
http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-studio
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Well, Avid Studio only slightly resembles the professional version of Avid, so it won't make much of a gateway to becoming a professional editor.

Besides, from what I've heard, even the pros are getting so tired of Avid's bugginess and cost that they're switching over to Final Cut Pro or the Mac version of Premiere Pro.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:44 pm

I know one of the cameramen from a local network affiliate here in Atlanta, Willis Boyd, he is not fond of AVID.
He uses Premiere Elements at home and loves it and would be real happy if they would switch to Premiere.

2005 Emmy Awards - Outstanding Achievement: Television News Programming Excellence Health/Science/Medical Report A6A

*Winner* From the Heart
Beth Galvin, Andi Larner, Leslie Collins WAGA-TV ATLANTA, GA

Nominated - Tripod the Dog
Marc Pickard, Willis Boyd WXIA-TV ATLANTA, GA

Nominated - Man with No Face
Marc Pickard, Willis Boyd WXIA-TV ATLANTA, GA

2004 Emmy Awards - Medical Reports Outstanding Achievement: Television News Excellence

Nominated - 24 Hours Inside Grady
Leslie Collins, Beth Galvin, Andi Larner FOX5 WAGA

*Winner* - Vocal Chord Voice
Marc Pickard, Willis Boyd WXIA-TV

*Winner* - Computerized Legs
Marc Pickard, Willis Boyd WXIA-TV

Marc Pickard is the news reporter and Willis is his cameraman and editor.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 am

While watching the Complete Training videos for Avid Studio, a feature was shown that wasn't too obvious before.

For text that's used in titles, besides a font color, you can use a video or still picture as the texture of the text. All you do is drag a video or picture from the library to the font color swatch. So as the title is being displayed you can see the video playing through the text. Just the text, not the background. There are also standard shapes you can use in a title that work the same way as text.

Another feature is you can select which track is the current track for such things as pasting or sending assets to the timeline from the library. You can change the primary track at any time.

You can move tracks into a different order.

You don't need to create a project in order to export a library asset.

Your DVD menu can be designed independent of a movie project. I haven't tried that yet.

Your assets can include other projects. I think I already mentioned that before.

I asked NewBlue if they had any effects for Avid Studio and they said that they are working on it.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 am

Thnaks for the update Robert, have you found any bad bugs?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am

I agree, great info RJ Thanks !!

This is really something to consider, seems to have a lot of the things that we have been asking Adobe for but never get.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

I can't say that I've come across any bad bugs. But there is one thing that slightly gripes me. When in the 2D editor and some other effects, there aren't any "handles" for resizing or cropping directly in the effect's preview monitor. Resizing and positioning are done with sliders or entering a value. The exception to this is in the Pan and Zoom editor where there are three sets of handles, one for the beginning position, one for the ending position, and one for the inbetween positions (for keyframming). So the Pan and Zoom editor is very nice.

Earlier I reported that when exporting to 1440x1080 AVC, the pixel aspect ratio in the file header is 1.0 instead of 1.3333 (per Media Info). I thought this would make a difference when playing back on my Blu-ray player, but the video played back correctly on my TV and on my computer with Arcsoft Total Thearter 3. It didn't play back correctly in some other software player, but I can't remember which, maybe Windows Media Player or Splash.

Another minor bug was when I was trying out the Fractal Cloud effect to see if I had the same problem as someone else reported on the Avid Studio forum. In the effects editor the transparency doesn't seem to work where you can't see behind the clouds, but it works okay once back on the timeline.

Once again, my computer and operating system don't meet the minimum specifications for running Avid Studio.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Avid Studio