They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Vegas Rendering Issue

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Vegas Rendering Issue

Postby UnicycleDaddy » Sat May 28, 2011 2:25 pm

First off, I love the Guide to Vegas Platinum 10! I am just getting started, but what a great resource! Well worth the price.

My issue is that I'm having memory problems rendering in Vegas 10. Vegas gets stuck in the middle of rendering, and tells me I don't have enough memory. But I have a state-of-the-art computer with plenty of memory. Does anybody have a solution? Thanks for any tips you can offer!

S.
UnicycleDaddy
New User
New User

Re: Vegas Rendering Issue

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi, and welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

It would help everyone a lot of you listed your computer specs; Processor, Video Card and memory, and RAM at least.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnicycleDaddy » Sat May 28, 2011 2:41 pm

It's an HP p6230y. I am not home at the moment, and sorry to say I don't remember all the specs. I have a secondary hard drive in it, but haven't upgraded memory or changed anything else. I'm not really a computer buff, but I know I bought a very fast machine for the purpose (mostly) of video editing.
UnicycleDaddy
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sat May 28, 2011 3:06 pm

And also what is your source media? DV-AVI, MPEG, high res photos?

Welcome to Muvipix by the way.. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UnicycleDaddy » Sat May 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Source media is from GE DV-1, which is a little camera that can shoot underwater scenes. I have it set to the highest setting for High Definition footage. 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps.
UnicycleDaddy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, Daddy. Welcome to Muvipix.

The challenge is that that camcorder doesn't produce video that Vegas can work with natively, so it needs to assimilate whatever video you put in. Because of that, EVERY second of that video needs to be rendered when you work with it.

First, when you say rendering, do you mean pre-rendering of the timeline or do you mean rendering for output?

If you have my book, you know that there are three ways to pre-render your video. Two of these pre-rendering systems (RAM rendering and Selective Pre-rendering) are limited by your hardware and can only render until their cue is full. There is even a preference setting (on the Video tab) for setting how large your RAM render is -- up to the amount available in RAM.

We can advise you further once we know which rendering or pre-rendering method you're using as well as how much RAM you have and how much free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive(s).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I have the GE DV1 and it produces AVCHD High Def video MOV files that Premiere Elements edits very easily.
Wouldn't have thought that Vegas would have a problem with it considering Elements doesn't.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnicycleDaddy » Sat May 28, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't know much about defragmentation, but I doubt my computer needs it as I recently put on a new hard drive and reinstalled all my software. Although I don't know much about it.

It appears I have 8 MB of RAM. I was rendering at first (the whole project, not pre-rendering) and then tried to pre-render a part at a time. No luck with that. Although I read in your book about RAM rendering, I don't feel I really have a grasp on it.
UnicycleDaddy
New User
New User

Postby Chris B » Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 am

Some thoughts:

1) It may not be a memory problem. I've had Vegas crash when rendering frames that are corrupt in the source media. However I don't see how this would have occurred in your case given that the source media is solid state. You could try just rendering the section where Vegas crashes to see if it's just that bit or not.

2) You could try rendering to a different output format (I don't think you specified what you were making with this). Or you could just render part of the video. If you need it to be one continuous part you could re-import these into a new project.

3) I'm assuming that you've got a 64bit version of Windows since you've got 8GB of ram. As such if Vegas is running out of memory it MAY benefit from being made "Large Address Aware". The first post in this forum contains an explanation and a link to download
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556

Always backup any files that you change before you change them. I've been running this modification since September 2010 and I've not had any issues.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 29, 2011 8:10 am

Daddy, have you ensured that your Vegas project is set up for AVCHD video?

Also, if you've installed a second drive, have you ensured that the drive is formatted NTFS rather than FAT32, as they come from the factory? (FAT32 drives have a file size limit that regularly chokes video editing.) And have you ensured that the drive is set up in your BIOS and not just in your operating system? This too can affect performance.

Finally, PLEASE let us know what you mean by rendering, per my earlier post. It's very important that we're clear on what issue we're dealing with.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnicycleDaddy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I followed some advice via some YouTube videos that people had posted, and it seems to have worked. Although the project I was working on is only two minutes long, so we will see later if I run into more problems. I appreciate all the advice.
UnicycleDaddy
New User
New User

Return to Vegas