They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie Studio Platinum 14

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Movie Studio Platinum 14

Postby ddutta » Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 am

Hello Steve,
I got the MS Platinum 14 about a year ago and never used it because I am used to Apple’s iMovie software. Now I am trying to learn it by watching your Basic Training for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 (Part 1 – 8) videos in YouTube. These are indeed very helpful!
Here is the issue I have faced with and am wandering if you can guide me in this regard:
I have a wedding ceremony put together in 2 DVDs (I think the format is VOB showing in my PC) and want to import both of then in Project for making it shorter and combing the both by editing.
Questions:
I have a PC with Window 10 and a DVD/CD player attached to it. I am struggling with importing the DVDs in the project. Please advise how I can import the DVDs.
Should I import the 1st DVD first and then work on it in the timeline? Then once the editing is completed, Import the 2nd one in the timeline?
FYI, I converted one DVD from VOB to MP4 using Prism video converter for testing and I was able to drag it to the timeline, but I think because of the conversion, the quality was lost.
It looked very blurry in the timeline making it difficult to edit. So, I deleted it from the timeline.
Please advise.
Best,
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Re: Movie Studio Platinum 14

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm

I don't recommend converting the video with third party software, Dipen. It may complicate things.

A couple of things you don't mention though. One, is this DVD a disc that was created based on video from the wedding or is it video that was shot with a camcorder that saves to a DVD? If the latter, make sure you've finalized each disc before you go to the next step.

Second, are these two DVDs simultaneous or sequential. In other words, are they two different angles on the same event (the wedding) or is one disc part one and the other one part two?

As for getting the video from each disc, just load each disc in you drive and, from the program's Project menu, select Import DVD Camcorder Disc. The program will copy the video from the disc to your hard drive and add it to your project as an MPEG. This should give you a nice, smooth workflow for your editing project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Sat May 16, 2020 4:52 pm

There is a total of 5 DVDs (Disks) and 3 of these include wedding ceremony and Reception. I will work on these 3 disks. These disks have been custom made from the original video clips in a chronological order. Here are the sequential contain of the disks:
Disk 1 = NOT APPLICABLE

Disk 2 = Start of Wedding ceremony in a chronological order
Disc 3 = 1st part contains Wedding ceremony to the end, in a chronological order, then the last part of the disk contains the start of reception in a chronological order, continuing in disk 4.
Disc 4 = Includes reception to the end, continuing from Disc 3 in a chronological order
My plan is to combine the wedding ceremony from Discs 2 and 3, make it shorter by editing and changing some music and then rendering it in a folder as Wedding Ceremony. Then I would like to do the same with Discs 3 and 4, making a shorter version of the Reception.
I hope I am able to provide you with the answer of your questions.
Based on my response, please let me know if any other advice you would like to give me.
Thank you so much!
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Sun May 17, 2020 6:04 am

You could try the "Gary James method" for home made movies.

Read this thread and the links there.

"Gary James method"
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 am

Definitely consider VK's suggestion.

And test drive my method for ripping video from your discs. Should give you excellent results!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Sun May 17, 2020 4:28 pm

I was able to import the DVD in project. However, when it was transferred to timeline, it looked very blurry. So it will be very difficult to work on this. Did I do anything wrong?
Any suggestions, please!
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 pm

Nope. It's likely just the quality setting on your Preview window -- which, if set to Auto, is basing the setting on what will give you the best playback performance.

The way it looks in the Preview window may not look at all like your final output. But before you get too deep into your project, it might not hurt to do a test. Output a 1920x1080 MP4 and compare it to your original video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 am

I was able to render my video clip as 'test' following your advice. Quality is good. Also, I was not able to open the rendered clip with Power Media Player and Windows Media Player. It opens only with QuickTime Player. Is there any reason for this? Also, can the quality of the video be improved for the rendering?

FYI, I was able to correct the blurry issue in the preview window just by playing in the following ways:
Place the cursor in the preview window and right click, then click on ‘Preview Quality’, then ‘Best’ and ‘Full’.

I have another small issue and hope you will be able to help:
I don’t know what I did, but the following icons disappeared from the upper left area above the timeline:
Project Media, Explorer, Transition, Video FX, Media Generator
Thank you so much for your help!
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby ddutta » Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am

Just to let you know that I was able to resolve the issue regarding disappearing the icons. So please ignore the question (see last para of the above email).
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 pm

By "icons" do you mean the nested windows that appear in the upper left? Try going to program's View window and, from the Window Layout sub-menu, select Default Layout.

Second, download the VLC Media Player. It's the best out there. (Windows Media Player is one of the worst.) Make it your default player for any video. In fact, the Quicktime Player is potentially a security risk. In my opinion, the VLC Player is essential.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Mon May 18, 2020 5:37 pm

All issues resolved and working fine.
Please note that I have download the VLC Media Player and my test rendered video clip opens fine with it. However, every few minutes ad pops up in my desktop which is very annoying.
Please advise how I can stop that.
As always, thank you very much!
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Ouch! Where did you get your copy of VLC from? Maybe there was some adware attached. You may want to uninstall it.

I should have posted a link to the legitimate download of VLC.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

VLC is an open source project, so there shouldn't be any advertising or adware. Although it wouldn't hurt to watch the screens as you install it and make sure you're not agreeing to anything other than VLC.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am

Thank you!
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Re: General Question

Postby ddutta » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 am

Can anyone please recommend a software that will help create tittles with animation and can be movable in the video clip for placing and compatible to most of the video editing APP?
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:04 pm

The most obvious choice. Vegas used to even bundle a version of it with their editor.
https://newbluefx.com/products/titling/titler-pro/
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Vegas