They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

J-L or L-J Edit ???

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

J-L or L-J Edit ???

Postby N5GP » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:00 pm

I watched an Adobe Premiere video on J-L or L-J editing (or trim) where a one clip could be overlapped over the end of another and the video trimmed a short period thus allowing the audio to begin playing before a scene change to the second clip. I tried to figure out how to do the same thing in VMS, but was stumped. Is this supported in VMS? Is there a work around? How about a way to separate the audio from video in a clip so each could be edited separately?
N5GP
New User
New User

Re: J-L or L-J Edit ???

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Of course you can do it in Movie Studio, N5. I even show you how do it my book. It works exactly the same in both programs.

Just put your main video (the one with the audio) on the lower-most video track and place your B roll or cutaway video (with no audio) on the video track above it. Your audience will see someone describing a scene and then a cutaway to the scene itself, as it continues to hear the person's desciption, and then a cut back to the original person.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby N5GP » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 am

I see how that will be helpful, but not exactly the same situation as in the Premier video. In the video, both clips had audio. The second eventually replaced the first,new audio fading in as the old faded out, then the video, all on the main track. I suppose your tip will work well and end up the same if I just add the audio track above the main track, make all the fades (audio and video) then at some point, just clip the top tracks and move back to the main track. Thanks so much, you've given me some great ideas to test.

When you mentioned your book, I'm guessing you mean The Muvipix Guide to Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16? I'll take a look. Thanks again.
N5GP
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm

In Premiere you can just right click the clip and select unlink. That way the audio track is now separated fro the video track. You can trim the amount needed.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby N5GP » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:05 pm

What about in VMS?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
N5GP
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro