They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Brightness and Contrast FX

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Brightness and Contrast FX

Postby super8guy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am

Hello,
When applying this effect in VEGAS Pro 16.0, the result I get is the right half of the screen showing the effect and the left half of the screen w/o the effect. I have the sneaky suspicion that the application of the effect to the entire screen is stupidly simple, but after consulting the muvipix VMSP 16 book as well as the VEGAS Pro manual I can't seem to find the appropriate section. How is this done? :oops:
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Re: Brightness and Contrast FX

Postby super8guy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 am

Problem almost solved!
In the Video Preview window at the upper left I found an icon labeled Split Screen View. I toggled through the drop down menu and found I could get the entire screen to display the level of brightness and contrast wanted. However, when I attempted to toggle through the choices again, I reverted to the original 50:50 split screen and could not get back to the full screen effect. Weird, still trying... :conf:
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 am

I think that's exactly it, super8!

I'll play with it at my end and see if I can duplicate what's happening and why.

You chose the Select All option, right?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:38 am

I've played with it a bit and, to be perfectly honest, this is my first experience with this setting. And I think it's kind of an odd setting.

I think it's so you can do a before and after preview of your effect, but I find it a bit clunky. I'd much rather just temporarily disable the effects in the Video FX panel.

But that said it looks like you can choose the left half and apply the effect to it or select the right half and apply the effect to it or select all and have the effect applied to the entire preview. (It could be that, if you've got this setting selected, you're accidentally making selections by tapping certain keys on your keyboard.)

I had to Select All and then click on the button a couple of times to turn the darn thing off!

Sorry that I didn't explore it in the book. I was unaware of it until you pointed it out -- and, from what I've seen, I don't really like it.

Meantime, it looks like Magix recently released an update for the software. I wonder if it will make the tool a bit more intuitive?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:33 am

The somewhat infamous "Split Screen View" button was previously a Vegas Pro feature only. Magix added it to their Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 and it's been there since. "Infamous" because in the first version it was almost impossible to tell if the button was on or off and this resulted in many questions on the Magix Vegas forum. It's a pity you cannot have a checkmark on the option that's selected.
vkmast

Postby super8guy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Firstly, I find it odd that my default view was the split screen...which obviously is mean to compare the before and after version of the FX. And yes Steve, I believe I may have inadvertently hit that button to toggle from the full screen to the split screen view. If, in fact, the split screen view is the default, my guess there is somewhere deep in a menu a way to change the default to full screen. But that's not worth the effort now that I'm home free (on this issue :exc: .)

As the antithesis of a power user, I find it highly amusing that I stumbled upon a feature of which you, Steve, were unaware. Since I'm digging deeper into the program: fair warning that there's a good chance I'll be unearthing other arcane functions.

Interesting to learn the back story of the Split Screen View, vkmast. Thanks ;)
super8guy

Postby vkmast » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:56 pm

You can read about the Split Screen View button in the VPro 16 online Help (F1).
Look for Split-screen previews in the Help Index.
Under that general heading there are several items explaining how it can be used.
vkmast

Return to Vegas