They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Variable Frame Rate video

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Re: Editing Variable Frame Rate video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Neil, I am completely stumped. I am not even remotely able to duplicate your experience, so I don't know what's up.

I assume that when you add your video to your timeline, you're accepting the program's offer to change the project settings to match the video specs. Or it might be worth going into the Project Settings (the cog on the Preview panel) and selecting the option to Match Media. But even then I don't know why you're seeing what you're seeing. Or why you're experiencing your other issues.

It might be worth uninstalling the entire program and even deleting the entire folder at C:Program Files/VEGAS/Movie Studio Platinum 16.0 and then trying a reinstalling using the files at https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/downloads/ (Assuming you own version 16 Platinum.)

These files will be more up to date than the ones on your DVD and your serial numbers will still work. And maybe a scorched earth approach will help you get rid of these really odd issues.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby NeilBreakwell » Mon May 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Apologies for stumping you, Steve :)

I will have to put further investigations on hold for a couple of weeks, as we're off on our annual vacation at the end of the week. So, no computers for two weeks, but plenty of photography, which will definitely be shot in constant frame rate :)

I may try what you suggest and download the package if my DVD serial number will still be valid. Might be less hassle to just manually trim the audio track on each clip though. Only temptation to re-download would be if it might address my other issue of the missing 360 effects. If I do re-download, I will image/clone the hard drive again, just in case. However, I'm not sure that will make a difference for a couple of reasons:

1. My previous VMS installation (v11) exhibited the same issue with (vfr) files from this camera.

2. Videos taken straight from my other cameras that record in constant frame rate (my GoPro and my new Sony a6400) are fine - the audio and video tracks are of the same length when imported into v11 or v16. There is just something different about the Samsung files, even when converted from VFR to CFR in HandBrake.

To answer your question about accepting the suggested change to project settings, yes I did accept this.

Out of interest, did the unprocessed file that I sent to you straight from the Samsung EK-GC110 camera exhibit any odd behavior when imported into your VMS ? I know the processed file was OK.

best regards
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Actually I had no problems editing the original file you sent me either, Neil. At least not in version 16, when I agreed to let the program set the project settings to match the video specs.

BTW, you won't lose any of your work or your media files if you uninstall the program and then reinstall it with the new files. Those files are kept in a separate directory and won't be affected by the new installation.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Vegas