They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Variable Frame Rate video

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Editing Variable Frame Rate video

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:25 am

Looking for advice on the best way to handle variable frame rate video in Vegas Movie Studio v11.

I frequently combine footage from a GoPro (which is nice constant frame rate video) with footage from a Samsung Galaxy camera, which is variable frame rate. When Iimport the VFR footage, the audio track is always slightly longer than the video track, but even whe the audio track is trimmed, Vegas still doesn't like it ... If I render with default setting ("smart resampling" on, the resulting video displays blur/interlace noise). If I render with "smart resampling" off, the result is much sharper (pausing video shows sharp image), but video is "jerky". The package also seems to "see" the VFR video as 240fps, even though in reality it is 30fpsVFR.

Any advice most appreciated.

BTW, thinking of investing in a DSLR which also does video ... do these more professional cameras produce CFR video ? That seems to be one of the few things that all the advertizing info omits to mention :)

many thanks
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Re: Editing Variable Frame Rate video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:39 am

The best way to edit variable frame rate video in Movie Studio 11 is to convert it to constant frame rate video. In fact, if there really is no alternative.

We show you how in this tutorial.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:58 am

Steve is correct Handbrake is the way to go.

You might consider using the app Filmic Pro on you Samsung. It will create video with a constant frame rate.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:25 am

@Steve -
Thanks - will give this a try :)

@Sidd -
I did hear about this Filmic Pro package, but when downloading it, discovered that it was not compatible with the Android version on the Samsung camera. I think the way forward for video is to use a camera that produced CFR footage, but this seems to be one of the few things that camera specs never tell - they just tell (nominal) frame rate and resolution, but rarely state VFR or CFR.

Advice much appreciated ... will try Handbrake to convert existing video.
NeilBreakwell

Postby NeilBreakwell » Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks, guys ... the HandBrake package is great and it rendered my video to CFR.

However, when importing the rendered CFR file into VMSP (v11), it still shows the audio track longer than the video track ?

I'm baffled :) !

- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Take a look at this more detailed explanation of how to convert video in Handbrake. If you convert the audio and the video according this these specs, you should have no problems at all using your video in Movie Studio.

Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby NeilBreakwell » Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi, Steve -
Once again, thanks for the reply and the excellent video ...

Unfortunately, I am still struggling with this one. I set constant framerate and AAC audio, as per your video, but I still see an audio track which is longer than the video track when importing into VMSP16. Of course, it is possible to manually trim each clip, but just wondering if there is a way round this.
AV.jpg

The video is from a Samsung EK-GC110 camera. (Future videos I will be making sure that I shoot on constant framerate camera) :)

By the way, can you advise what screen capture package you are using to create those nice smooth zoom and pan effects ?

many thanks for all the advice

best regards
-Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 03, 2019 2:12 pm

I have no idea why that would be, Neil. Sorry I can't help you with this.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby NeilBreakwell » Fri May 03, 2019 2:59 pm

OK - down to trimming the audio track on each clip then :(
Will let you know if I find a solution (apart from "use a camera that records cfr :) )

Would you let me know what screen capture package you use to create your tutorial videos ? I love the zoom and pan effects.

many thanks
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 pm

I love Camtasia for making tutorials, Neil. It's the gold standard.

Meantime, Neil, if you want to share one of the videos that's giving you problems (not the converted one), I'll be glad to run it through Handbrake and see if i get the same results and if so why.

Just put the file on a site like Dropbox and share it to my first name @ the name of this forum dot com. (I never put e-mail addresses on forums, but you can figure out it, right?)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat May 04, 2019 1:18 pm

That's very kind of you, Steve -
I'll upload a short clip (unprocessed, straight from the camera) as soon as Dropbox will let me log in .. that seems to be down right now.
The video is from a Samsung EK-GC110 camera recorded at 30fps (variable frame rate) at 1080p
I am trying to convert to 25fps 1080p constant frame rate (I am in U.K., which is PAL standard).

As mentioned, the HandBrake package converts to CFR video, but the audio track is always slightly longer than the video track after processing. Not a major issue, as I can always trim the audio track slightly on each clip, but would be great if there were a way round this.

Many thanks -
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat May 04, 2019 1:31 pm

file shared :)
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks, Neil. I'll experiment with it later this week.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 am

Hi, Neil. I converted your video to Constant Frame Rate, using the specs in my tutorial, it it loaded right into Vegas Movie Studio. I did not experience the audio track being longer than the video, as you have.

Try to video I've shared back to you via Dropbox and see if it works better than your conversion. If so, I'll get specific about the specs I used for the conversion in Handbrake so that you can get the same results with all of your videos.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby NeilBreakwell » Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 am

Hi, Steve ...

Thanks so much for your efforts on this. Unfortunately, when I import into my VMSP16 I still see the audio track slightly longer than the video track. Maybe it is something with my computer, but I can't think what:
converted.jpg

Interestingly, the difference in length between the two tracks always seems to be about the same (15 or 16 frames with project settings 30fps), regardless of the overall duration of the clip. So, there is no noticeable sync issues between the video and audio. Guess I'll just have to trim the audio on each clip and avoid recording vfr video in future :)

Thanks again - really appreciate your help and interest.
- Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilBreakwell

Next

Return to Vegas