They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Register Movie Studio 16 Platinum via another PC ?

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Register Movie Studio 16 Platinum via another PC ?

Postby NeilBreakwell » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi -
I just purchased the Movie Studio 16 Platinum from Magix, having previously used v11 extensively.
With v11, I was able to install the software on an OFFLINE PC, by using another (online) PC to get an activation file.

I was hoping that the same useful technique would be possible with v16, but I'm not sure that it is. Before I open the sealed DVD, can anyone advise if the software can be registered on an offline PC (eg by using another PC that is online) ? If not, then I will have to return the software for a refund.

thanks
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Re: Register Movie Studio 16 Platinum via another PC ?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm not sure what the answer is there, Neil. It might be best to post this one to the Magix Movie Studio forum.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 am

Or maybe just contact them directly and ask.

I know adobe allows you to keep on license on 2 computers so it is worth a try.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am

The real question, though, is if you can activate the program on a computer that's not connected to the internet.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 pm

See sections 10 and 11 here https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... s--104787/
Note also the link to Magix.com in section 10 (https://www.magix.com/us/support/techni ... rt/#c69706)
See also section 9. "How many computers can I use VEGAS Pro on? " That applies to e.g. Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum as well.
vkmast

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks, all ...

@Steve - tried registering at Magix forum (vegascreativesoftware)? but keep getting "Internal Sever Error - please try later". By the way, I love your tutorials and book on this package that I just purchased from Amazon.

@vkmast - looks like the answer is "no" from these links :(

The PC that I built for video editing has no hardware to enable internet connection, so unfortunately that is not an option. Not happy with Magix for not making this clear.

Looks like I have 3 choices:
1. return software for refund
2. install it on a different (slower) computer, which may not be possible because it requires a 64-bit machine
3. find a "crack" for software that I have legally purchased !

- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Postby vkmast » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 pm

NeilBreakwell wrote:---The PC that I built for video editing has no hardware to enable internet connection, so unfortunately that is not an option. Not happy with Magix for not making this clear.
Looks like I have 3 choices:
1. return software for refund
2. install it on a different (slower) computer, which may not be possible because it requires a 64-bit machine
3. find a "crack" for software that I have legally purchased !- Neil

Actually there is the mention at their website on the product page under Specifications, System requirements (https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/u ... roductMenu):
Internet connection: Required for registering and validating the program, as well as for some program functions. Program requires one-time registration.

And as several codecs require online additional activation the first time they are used in each version (as mentioned in section 10 in the linked thread), the software will be crippled without Internet connection.
vkmast

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:49 pm

One possibility, how about a USB wifi adapter? Several companies make them and you can get some for as little as $10. If you don't have a wifi router, your cell phone may be able to act as a wifi hot spot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:35 pm

So, I decided to attempt to install the software on an online PC running Windows 7 64-bit.
I received the error shown in the attached image.

Vegas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilBreakwell

Postby vkmast » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:26 am

vkmast

Postby NeilBreakwell » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:42 am

Thanks, vkmast.
I reckon it's the computer that I'm using. Magix advised downloading/repairing Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable, which the computer fails to install. It also fails to install the newer dotNet framework, as suggested in the attached links. Ah, v11 was SO easy and trouble-free, and now they "improved" it :)
NeilBreakwell

Postby NeilBreakwell » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Magix advised that the problem was that I did not have the latest version of what they called "the redistributable" installed.

Upon interrogating them further as to what in the world this meant, it turns out that they were referring to something called the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" Not something that I would have guessed from the error message that came out :) and not something that the average guy such as I would have a clue about anyways.

Anyway, the solution to my problem of getting this software on my PC without going online was:

1. Create a clone of my offline hard disk and fit it in the same case
2. Connect the clone drive online and install/activate the software on that drive
3. I still have the option of switching back to the original hard drive and retaining a computer that has never been online for all other applications.

Thanks for the advice - got a workable solution in the end. Now I can start using this software :)
NeilBreakwell

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Wow! That's a pretty complicated solution, Neil! But if it worked, I'm glad we could help you along the way.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:03 pm

@NeilBreakwell,

FYI, https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... s--104787/ points 10 AND 11. Please read.
vkmast

Postby NeilBreakwell » Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 pm

@vkmast -
yes, got that thanks ... I have noticed that it needs to reconnect to install codecs for some video files, inc 4K and 360, two of the main reasons that I wanted this package. But it doesn't need to be connected to use the package, so,all is good - thanks again.

@Steve -
Loving your Muvipix.com Guide to this package (VMS Platinum 16). Just a couple of questions if I may ...
1. p212 talks about applying the "dual fish eye stitching" effect for 360 video, but I can't find this.
2. The installation DVD includes "NewBlue transitions", which I also installed, but not sure how to access these.

best
- Neil
NeilBreakwell

Next

Return to Vegas