They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question about the Make Movie feature

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Question about the Make Movie feature

Postby cgwaters » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm using MSP13 to remove a few seconds of audio from an MP4 file. When I thereafter use the Make Movie feature and select to save it to my hard drive, the resulting MP4 file is many times larger than the original file. (My goal is to generate a replacement MP4 file that will be accessed from a Plex Media Server.)

I used Handbrake to reduce the resulting MP4 file down to ~1/6-th the original size. The only apparent difference is that the Video Data Rate and Total Bitrate are ~1/7-th and ~1/6-th smaller (respectively) and the Audio Bitrate is reduced from 192kbps to 160 kpbs.

Is there a way I can do this more efficiently?
cgwaters

Re: Question about the Make Movie feature

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Certainly. MP4s are compressed video, so you can increase the compression or lower to bitrate the have a smaller, lower quality file.

I can't guarantee it will be the exact same size as your original MP4. But if you go to the Render As screen (rather than Make Movie) by selecting it under the Project menu, you have a number of templates to choose from.

If you look under the Sony AVC formats, you'll find options for creating an Internet 1920x1080 and an AVCHD 1920x1080 as well as 1920x1080 at a number of Internet quality levels in the Magix AVC format. (The Internet options produce MP4s while the AVCHD options product MTS files.) You also might want to play with the Intel HEVC options, which can produced higher quality MP4s with smaller file sizes.

Select one of the templates and the estimated file size will appear in the lower right of the panel.

It will be up to you to balance the need for a small size file with the need to maintain quality.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Question about the Make Movie feature

Postby cgwaters » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 am

Great, thanks! I'll check it out.
cgwaters

Return to Vegas