They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Plugins and effects in VMSP15

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Plugins and effects in VMSP15

Postby Chrismar » Mon May 07, 2018 4:49 am

Hi Steve,

Whilst waiting for your VMS15 Guide to arrive (takes over 2 weeks from US to Australia) I've gone ahead with multicam video editing for a project.

I have discovered that adding VideoFX prior to doing the multicam editing is a waste of time as you lose them all once multicam editing is enabled. It would seem okay to add them plus video resizing once the multicam editing is complete. One of the cameras was hand held and needs some stabilization in parts. Have you used a stabilizer plug-in after carrying out multicam editing? I've always preferred the NewBlue FX stabilizer to the one that comes with VMS and would like your opinion on that too please.

Any advice or tips you can offer on adding VideoFX to multicam editing would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Christine
Chrismar
New User
New User

Re: Plugins and effects in VMSP15

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 am

I never considered that Multicam Editing would affect your effects -- but you may well be right!

Does a make a difference if you're adding the effect to Media (in the Project Media window) as opposed to adding the effect to an event on the timeline?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chrismar » Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 am

Prior to activating the multicam editing, I had put in VideoFX like Levels and Color Curves. As I am working with video from 3 cameras I needed to see each video on the timeline and depending on lighting etc apply the effects, so I wouldn't really consider adding any effects arbitrarily in the Project Media section - except maybe stabilization.

Having added the effects, I enabled the multicam function and a message popped up advising that all applied movement and effects would be lost if I continued. I had no choice, so lost it all but fortunately had made notes of the settings I'd used. It now means I have to go to each clip individually and apply the effects - a bit laborious but copy and paste event attributes should work in this instance.

It is interesting to note that once the multicam editing has been completed and the VideoFX applied, you can go between enabling and disabling the multicam editing without losing the VideoFX, although those effects are not displayed in the video preview grid but the timeline only.

My main concern is applying the stabilization individually to those clips that need it - if that doesn't work then I'll have to resort to stabilizing manually with key-framing. Looks like its a case of trial and error!!
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

I've been playing around with the program -- even adding effects as Media FX -- and you're right. Multicam editing nullifies any effects you've added to your clips!

Looks like the only solution is to stabilize your video clips in a separate project and then output them as Sony AVC files, using only these final outputs as your source media for multicam editing.

I'm a bit disappointed!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chrismar » Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 am

Yes I'm rather disappointed in this aspect too but on a positive note I love the multicam editing. Sure beats manually switching between video tracks to decide which one to use - big time saver!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby MrGrunthunter » Mon May 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Steve, Once you applied the FX effects you wanted and then just saved the entire project, closed SMS and then reopened the project then initiate the multi-cam editing wouldn't that work?
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Interesting idea. But I couldn't get that to work either, MrG.

Something about Enabling Multicam Editing wipes out any effects applied -- as well as preventing any new effects from being added!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 pm

The effects are still there when you enable Multicam editing. Vegas disables the effects by design so that playback is tolerable.

Event effects are applied to the active take, so you need to use Media FX to explicitly apply effects to a specific clip.

Use the keyboard shortcut (CTRL-SHIFT-D) to toggle between Multicam editing and regular editing.

When you toggle to regular mode, Vegas enables the effects.

Use keyboard shortcuts ( T or Shift-T) to go forward or backward through the takes without splitting clips. In regular editing mode, the effects are enabled. You can then cycle through the takes to see a full frame with effects.

To go back to Multicam editing, press CTRL-SHIFT-D again. Vegas disables the effects again.

When viewing playback on the external device, you can use the same keyboard shortcuts (CTRL-SHIFT-D, T, Shift-T). You can view the full frame with effects.

When you render to a video file, the effects are enabled even if Multicam mode is on.

Hope that is helpful.

Rob
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 09, 2018 2:51 pm

You are awesome, Robert! That makes perfect sense!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chrismar » Fri May 11, 2018 3:45 am

A brilliant explanation Robert - thanks so much for doing this. :-D
Chrismar
New User
New User

Return to Vegas