They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dragging the end of a clip ( or event)

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Dragging the end of a clip ( or event)

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:30 pm

PLEASE tell me there is a way to deselect this feature. ( and I call it a feature loosely)

While hunting around MSP 13 for a "shuffling event" feature from the "shortcut menu" I quickly realized this most likely is a Vegas Pro thing. So ... I decided to add 3 clips to the timeline in order to play around with rearranging the clip (event) order. This is when I came across a very annoying feature. I hate to call it a feature.

Now in Adobe Premiere Elements, if you drag on the end of a clip you can trim it, of course. However if you pull the end of a clip it will extend to the limit of the clips play length. A very natural way to do things.

In Movie studio, if you pull on the end of a clip, the #@$%@ thing keeps expanding and duplicating itself. Apparently marking itself at the start of each duplication with microscopic markers that ... to me look like lint.

Please tell me there is a way to deselect the program's ability to do this and rather make it so when you pull on the end of a clip or event it will only stretch out to the limit of the clips play time.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dragging the end of a clip ( or event)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:09 pm

That's sort of how the program reads clips, Joe. There's a setting in the preferences where you can set it to use a freeze frame of the last frame of your clip if you over-extend it -- but even that can be a surprise if you're not used to it.

When you over-extend a clip, you should see a little notch along the top of the event on your timeline that indicates the end the clip.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Shoot .... oh well, I suppose the freeze frame thing is better than nothing. For a minute I thought I found a checkbox in the trimmer window called "Enable Timeline Overwrite" but no ... that will be an adventure for a future date. LOL.

I suppose there's a reason the program does this, but for the life of me, I can't see a useful purpose. Guess Adobe doesn't either. Oh well .... thanks for the speedy reply!

Can't seem to find that freeze frame setting yet, which tab is it under?
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 pm

In Preferences, under the Editing tab. Uncheck the option to Enable Looping on Events by Default.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 pm

thank you !
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby vkmast » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:35 am

AVITRY wrote:While hunting around MSP 13 for a "shuffling event" feature from the "shortcut menu" I quickly realized this most likely is a Vegas Pro thing. ---
In Movie studio, if you pull on the end of a clip, the #@$%@ thing keeps expanding and duplicating itself. Apparently marking itself at the start of each duplication with microscopic markers that ... to me look like lint.
Please tell me there is a way to deselect the program's ability to do this and rather make it so when you pull on the end of a clip or event it will only stretch out to the limit of the clips play time.

"Shuffling events" is not only a Vegas Pro thing. As I wrote in another thread, Shuffle Tool is. You can shuffle events in Sony MS Platinum 13 as well. If you did not find the section on it in your online Help I referred you to, here's another link.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/web ... Events.htm#kanchor406

As for "pulling on the end of an event" (in Vegas/Movie Studios a "clip" becomes an "event" when it's put on the timeline), note the chapter on "Time-stretching an event" here
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/web ... Length.htm#kanchor416

Of course, it's quite natural to wonder about things working differently from the way one is used to.
vkmast

Postby AVITRY » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:26 am

Vk, I'm admittedly the guy they wrote those "dummie" books for. I did search on your explanation, but I couldn't find a "shortcut menu" to find a shuffle event. I'm giving it a fresh start today.

LOL .... as far as that pulling on the clip, or event, I felt like one of those clowns that keeps pulling colored handkerchiefs out of his pocket looking for the end. :ha:
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:02 pm

I was playing with the shuffle in Vegas. I found that I had to drag the clips beyond the end of the first clip. If I just dragged a few frames, the "shuffle" option wouldn't be available.

Before Dragging:
Clip Clip Clip Clip Clip

Drag to at least
here:
----->Clip Clip Clip Clip Clip
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby vkmast » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:27 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I was playing with the shuffle in Vegas. I found that I had to drag the clips beyond the end of the first clip. If I just dragged a few frames, the "shuffle" option wouldn't be available.---

Or drag it about at least >60 % of its length.
shuffle_events.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vkmast

Return to Vegas