They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to render only a piece of an entire event

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

How to render only a piece of an entire event

Postby jonnyD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm

I have a DVD that was made of old 8mm footage from 50 years ago. I ripped the video files from the DVD and put one of the files onto the timeline of my MS Plat 13.0. The video file has a bunch of clips on it ie. Jonny riding a bicycle, Jonny opening up a birthday present, etc. I want to make a separate video clip of the bicycle riding (for example) so I split the event on the timeline and deleted everything before the bicycle riding and everything after the bicycle riding. I then clicked Project>Make a Movie>Save it to My Hard Drive>WMV>Next. The resultant file started with the bicycle riding but then went to the end of the original video file - so it was 14 minutes long instead of about 13 seconds. Why did this happen? I thought only what's on the timeline is rendered.
Computer: 3.2 GHz i5 CPU; 8GB RAM; ASUS GTX660 graphics card; Win 7 Pro 64-bit; 120GB SSD boot drive plus 1.5TB internal HDD
Software: Sony Movie Studio Platinum suite 13.0; Photoshop CS5
jonnyD

Re: How to render only a piece of an entire event

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Ciao Jonny,

you can select a region (a segment) on the timeline and (without splitting) export your favorite sequences one by one, with the rendering button:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNlZCAfum_E[/youtube]
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby vkmast » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Yes, you need to have a loop region first.
See the SCS KB article here
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/ ... op-regions
In MSPlatinum 13 you'll find the "Render loop region only" option in Make Movie > Save it to hard drive > formats list window. Check that option.
You can choose the option also in Advanced options (do not press Next) > Render as Render options.
Make sure that the yellow markers show the region you want rendered.
vkmast

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Go to the beginning of where you want the render to happen in the timeline and hit the "i" key to set your in point. Then go to where you want the render to stop and hit the "o" key to set your out point. That will be your loop region.
Then, when you go to render, be sure to check the box to "render loop region only", and hit ok.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby jonnyD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks all. Worked beautifully :-D
Computer: 3.2 GHz i5 CPU; 8GB RAM; ASUS GTX660 graphics card; Win 7 Pro 64-bit; 120GB SSD boot drive plus 1.5TB internal HDD
Software: Sony Movie Studio Platinum suite 13.0; Photoshop CS5
jonnyD

Return to Vegas