They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Upgrading from MS HD Platinum 11

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Upgrading from MS HD Platinum 11

Postby schmechel1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello ... I am currently using Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 and am looking to upgrade so that the software runs on a true 64 bit system. I understand that Movie Studio HD Platinum Suite 12 has great reviews for this reason and for another of other things as well. I would like to begin using some of the hit film stuff but I am unsure which product to upgrade to. To my knowledge, MS Platinum 12 doesn't come with hit film but I understand that 13 does or at least some version of it. Can the hit film plug-in be purchased separately and installed with suite 12 or would I need to purchase Movie Studio Platinum Visual Effects suite?

I could purchase 13 but am not sure how I feel about the product and was wondering how some of you 13 users feel about it.

Thank you for your comments ...
schmechel1
New User
New User

Re: Upgrading from MS HD Platinum 11

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:04 pm

HitFilm can certainly be purchased separately from http://hitfilm.com/.

But HitFilm is actually integrated into Movie Studio 13, so the program interfaces very nicely with it.

With version 12, you'll need to export finished HitFilm effects and then import them into your project.

Feelings about the version 13 interface vary. Some people hate it. Some people are indifferent.

Why not download the free trial and give it a test drive? (Or check out our free 8-part Basic Training tutorials for it on the left side of this page: http://muvipix.com/sms13.php )
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby schmechel1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Steve ... you mentioned that I will need to export HitFilm effects and then import them into your project. Where would I export HitFilm from? Also, do the effects need to be imported every time I start a new project?

Appreciate your thoughts on 13 - What is your opinion on Movie Studio Platinum Visual Effects suite? I think it hit film is integrated in this package as well. Does it run as well as 12?

By the way .... I was in Green Bay over Christmas .... cold. I saw that Green Bay area set a record for 49 consecutive days with subzero temps. I'm assuming the same is true for Milwaukee ... hope you all can thaw out soon.
schmechel1
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:45 pm

In order to use HitFilm with version 12, you would need to render your video from Movie Studio, import that into HitFilm, add your effects, then render it out of Hitfilm -- and import the finished piece back into Movie Studio.

In version 13, the two programs talk to each other, so you can just send video directly between them. Make sense?

Is the Movie Studio Visual Effects Suite still being made by Sony? The software is available on Amazon, but I don't see any current information on it on the Sony site.

Thanks for the good wishes for a long overdue thaw. Next weekend we might be above the freezing point for only about the second day since Thanksgiving.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 am

Interesting. I do have HitFilm 2 Express myself, as I downloaded it while it was offered free for a limited time.

Anyway, to test I tried to find the option to purchase the Express version from the FXHome/HitFilm site and finally found a demo to download through Support > FAQs, Features. The "Buy Now" link on the Free Trial page informs that HitFilm 2 Express is available as part of Sony Movie Platinum: Visual Effects Suite 2. As Steve says, that package (with MS 12 Platinum) is not available through Sony/SCS any more of course. The option to buy the Express from HitFilm may be somewhere there, but I did not find it.

You are able to buy the Express through SCS site (Purchase / Partner Products). The download may be the version which came with the VE Suite 2 but in that case I'd think it can be updated free to include the timeline integration with v.13.
This link may be useful as well: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/hit ... ntegration

The OP should definitely look for those offers at greatly reduced prices of MSP (v.12) VE Suite 2 Steve suggests, as you'd get the same product much cheaper that way. And it should still give you the option to upgrade to Movie Studio Platinum (or Suite) 13 at a lower price later.

As Steve said, the opinions of v.13 run the gamut, I can live with it.
vkmast

Postby schmechel1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 pm

vkmast ... I appreciate your input. Much of what you mentioned in your post is pretty much what I found to be true. MS Platinum VE 2 is only available through Amazon. I am assuming it is Win 7 64 bit compatible with GPU acceleration and that it works as efficient as the MS 12 suite. I was thinking that Hit Film Express was included in VE 2.0. I found this link that demonstrates the integration between both applications - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/hit ... ntegration.
schmechel1
New User
New User

Postby schmechel1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 pm

I spoke with a representative from Sony Creative Software. The rep confirmed what we have already posted in that MS Platinum Visual Effects Suite 2 is no longer available through Sony but can be purchased at locations such as Amazon, etc. This software package is the same as Sony MS 12 except without Hit Film express. It is a 64 bit app with GPU acceleration. Sony MS 13 does not contain the complete package of hit film express but only the post popular items. If you read closely on their website, the language used is that it contains a sample. With the Visual effects software, you are getting MS 12 with the full hit film express package.
schmechel1
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, schmechel.

I was fortunate enough to grab a copy of HitFilm Express last month when they were giving it away free. And I've since starting using the full HitFilm Ultimate -- and it's an amazing program!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 am

Yes, schmechel1 tells it like it is irl at the moment.
Re his comments on the HitFilm sample FX in MSP 13, here again a screenshot of those FX
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/504 ... FilmFX.JPG
Also again this link
http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/43
I have no idea what those FX mentioned there could be.

HitFilm 2 Ultimate is indeed amazing. As Ultimate is $399.95 (Express is $139.95 and the new MSP 13 is $79.95, SCS list prices), maybe not many non-pro Studio users are willing to invest that much though. There are regularly special offers available of course.
vkmast

Return to Vegas