They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Member and Question About Synching Audio and Video

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

New Member and Question About Synching Audio and Video

Postby leon grizzard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Howdy. New member here from Austin, Texas. I have Steve's new Movie Studio Platinum 12 book and am about halfway through it, but have not found, or maybe I missed this. I have converted some VHS tapes to digital (VHS2DVD). The audio and video are slightly out of synch. I have ungrouped the two tracks, but wonder if there is a precise or best way to move one or the other to better synch them, other than just dragging. Nudging a split second on a hour long video is tough with dragging.
leon grizzard
New User
New User

Re: New Member and Question About Synching Audio and Video

Postby leon grizzard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Ooh. Ooh. I may have it. With the audio and video ungrouped, I positioned the cursor on 15 frames on the video, trimmed the start, and it seems pretty good. I think and hope it is a fixed offset; it seems to be holding at several points along the way. I would still like to hear from someone the best way to do this. And how to adjust it again if it gets off at some point in the middle to a project.
leon grizzard
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 pm

I don't use Sony Vegas, but I wanted to welcome you to Muvipix. :meet:

I'm sure somebody will chime in with some suggestions for you.
Peru

Postby leon grizzard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks, Peru
leon grizzard
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Leon.

Yes, you can manually tweak the sync between audio and video -- but you really shouldn't have to do that. It depends on the method you used to capture your analog VHS video.

Here are Muvipix, we recommend only two digitizing devices: The Grass Valley/Canopus ADVC unit and the ADS Pyro AV Link. These devices attach to your comptuer via FireWirec connection and attach to your camcorder via the AV connectors -- and the video clips they capture are DV-AVIs, the ideal format for editing in Movie Studio, Vegas and virtually every other PC-based editor. (I discuss analog capture in a bit more detail on page 43 of the SMS 12 book.)

You say you used VHS2DVD to capture your video, and it's kind of typical of the type of device we recommend AGAINST using for the very reasons you're experiencing. These low-end digitizers are designed pretty much to just capture analog for conversion directly to DVD, and they're made pretty much to work with the software that comes included with their hardware.

So there may be ways to manually get your video and audio back in sync -- but for the cost of the Canopus or Pyro units, you can get perfect files that give you excellent results and video files that need no modification whatsoever to work with in Movie Studio.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby leon grizzard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:29 am

Steve - Thanks for that. However, I don't have firewire on my computer. Also, one is a guitar instructional video, so there is some process necessary to defeat the copy protection in converting to digital, which I am led to understand causes some synch issues. (I'm not breaking any laws here; I own the video and am just converting format for my own use.) Also, I plan to record some audio on a separate device from my video camera and will need to precisely synch the two together. From what I have read, that will require resynching at some points, depending on how long the video is.

Since the playhead can be very accurately placed by typing in location numbers, can I put markers at two playhead points and select the region between them somehow? Or some other way of selecting a very small region by typing in location numbers?

EDITED TO SAY: I GOT ONE WAY. POSITION THE PLAYHEAD, HOLD DOWN SHIFT, USE THE ARROW KEYS TO SELECT A REGION TWO FRAMES AT A TIME.
leon grizzard
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 am

Glad to hear you've found a way to make it work -- but sorry to hear you have to do it that way. Video editing is supposed to be much simpler.

But no one can argue with success! Congrats and happy moviemaking!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 am

Welcome Leon to Muvipix! Glad you got things working.
:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Vegas