They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cannot open project

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Cannot open project

Postby Susanna » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:57 am

I have the 30 day trial of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 and also your book (Muvipix Guide to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12)
I have 2 "try-out" projects ("Carnival" & "A Walk In The Park"), but only "Carnival" will open. Of course the one I can't open is the one I've done the most work on!
They both appear to be listed under Documents - Movie Studio Platinum 12 projects, but when I click on the "Walk in the Park" file I get a message saying it cannot be found - but the file is named as "Park Walk" (the original file name from when I uploaded the files from my AVCHD video camera memory card) and I cannot see how to change this to the correct project name.
Both projects are from the same camera and have been added to projects in the same way.
Both projects appear on the Welcome screen, but only "Carnival" will open from there.
I have tried opening it from the folder where it was originally filed, but I get a message saying they cannot be open as they are "sfk" files.
Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, please?
Zoostorm Quad Core PC -Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU - 6GB Fast DDR3 - 1TB 7200rpm SATA HD - Windows 7 HP 64bit - HD 5.1 sound - NVIDIA GeForce GT610
Using Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 and Premiere Elements 9
Susanna

Re: Cannot open project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 am

Hi, Susanna. Welcome to Muvipix! And thanks for supporting our books!

sfk files are support files for your media files. They aren't the actual project files.

Do you have Windows set up to show file suffixes? If not, I recommend you do that.

Also, from your post, it's not clear if you understand the difference between project files and media files. Can you confirm that you do? Project files are opened in Movie Studio (by selecting the Open option under the Project menu) while media files can not be opened by the program -- they must be imported into a project.

Movie Studio project files have the suffix .vf.

Can you confirm that the project files you're trying to open are .vf files?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Susanna » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Yes, I do know the difference between media files and project files. I also name Project files differently to the original media files, so even I can't mix them up!
Just to clarify:
If I open Movie Studio and get the Welcome Screen, 2 projects are listed: A Walk In The Park and Carnival (which opens, but I am not planning on using further).
If I click on A Walk In The Park, I get a window saying "The following file could not be found in the specified location. "C:\User\Susanna\Videos\HDCSD90\Park walk.MTS" - (this is actually referring to the original media files).
If I click on Project - Open, I get taken to the Project File menu, where I can see A Walk In The Park.vf file; but if I click open, |I get the exact same window opening, with the exact same message.
The Movie Studio Project files are stored in Documents (I believe this is the default?) and the media files are under My Videos, but they now seem to be MTS files (SFK) and not AVCHD (which they were when uploaded them from the camera's SD card.)
Hope this clarifies...
Zoostorm Quad Core PC -Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU - 6GB Fast DDR3 - 1TB 7200rpm SATA HD - Windows 7 HP 64bit - HD 5.1 sound - NVIDIA GeForce GT610
Susanna

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm stumped Susanna. It sounds like you're doing everything right. What operating system are you using?

What happens if you open a new project and save it to another location -- say, inside a folder you create on your desktop. If you close it, can you re-open it?

BTW, this is really obvious but -- have you ensured that you're logged into your computer as Susanna and you're not using another account?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Susanna » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Ok - I'm using Windows 7; I'm the only user of the computer - so yes, I'm logged on as Susanna!
I did what you suggested and opened a new project -saved to a new file on the desktop. Opens ok - did a little editing - closed. Again opens ok.
When I check back to the original media files I used in this new project, the two clips I used now have new clips beside them - (same number, but with MTS extension),but the original files are still there.
When I check back to the original media files I used for the "Walk In The Park" files, there are only MTS files there - no originals (fortunately, I still have copies on my camera!) - I know this is not right as Movie Studio is supposed to be non-destructive, right? So where have my originals gone?
Susanna

Postby Peru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Susanna wrote: So where have my originals gone?

Try searching your hard drive(s). Maybe you accidentally dragged them to another location.
Peru

Postby Susanna » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 am

I have searched - they don't appear anywhere else, I've even tried searching for previous versions, apparently there are none.
Also, I have noticed that in your book, there is no information about how to save a project - is it ALWAYS automatically saved when you close the program?
Susanna

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 am

It could be that your project file is corrupted. What happens if you open on of the back-up copies of it?

Beyond that, I'm stumped. Sorry, Susanna. I don't know what's going on -- particularly since it appears to be limited to that particular project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Susanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 am

*sigh*
I think (hope) it must be summat I've done -I just wish I could remember what so I could avoid doing it again!
Thankfully, it was footage shot specifically for testing - so no problem.
I shall just delete all references to it and start again...
One thing DID occur to me,re: Saving - I have noticed that in your book, there is no information about how to save a project - is it ALWAYS automatically saved when you close the program?
It is entirely possible that I may have automatically clicked Ctrl-S before closing - would that have done it?
I have another query, but I shall post it under a different topic.
Again, thanks.
Susanna

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am

In my book for Movie Studio Platinum, I recommend starting a project by naming and saving it to a location right away, along with a Managed File folder.

You can see it part 1 of the Basic Training tutorials along the left side of this page.
http://muvipix.com/sms12.php

In the book, I also recommend that when you first create a project, you create a new folder the project file. This helps keep your project and supporting files in a nice, neat little directory.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Susanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I did that - but do you have to re-save every time you close the program, or does it save automatically?
Susanna

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 pm

You will have to save before you close the program, as you would with any program.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Susanna » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 am

As I thought.
Oh well - onwards and upwards, delete & start again - it's a learning opportunity!
Thanks for your help and see you on the next query...
Susanna

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:48 pm

In my version of Movie Studio Plat. 12, If I make some changes, when I try to exit with out saving first, I get a message about saving. Doesn't your version do that Susanna?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Susanna » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes it does - but I really don't remember it happening on the first project.
Anyway - until I know EXACTLY what I'm doing,I shall only play with "test footage"
AND I shall read the whole book first, from cover to cover! :roll:
Susanna

Return to Vegas