They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

slow video issue

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

slow video issue

Postby Songweaver1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I am so glad to finally find a place to learn. Thank you ion advance for any help.

I have been trying to figure out why some .mov files i uploaded from a client are so slow in MS 12 (and my 9.0 for that matter) (I have .mov jumpbacks and they play fine.)
I bought 12.0 build 755 thinking my 9.0 wasn't right for the clips but to my surprise, I have the same problem.
I next bought a new video card (INvidia Gforce GT610) and that helped a great deal, but the video is still just a 'smidge' slow.
Not being a pro, I am turning to you guys for help.
Steve invited me to muvipix and I welcome any and all input....

Note:
I work with about 30 ministries doing audio, video, graphics, DVDs, CDs, photgraphy and the like. I have the most experience with audio; having been a musician and sound man, but the video area is where I am sorely lacking, again, thanks for the help .
John
Songweaver1
New User
New User

Re: slow video issue

Postby Collene » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 am

:meet: John, you have come to the right place for help! This forum is full of knowledgeable and information generous people. I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to your question myself but I bet someone will be along shortly who does.
Collene
Computer: Toshiba Qosimo X505 Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2410M CPU@2.30 GHz Ram 8 GB 64 Bit Operating System Camera: Canon EOS 7D Video Camera: Canon Vixia HF s21 Software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10.0 HD Platinum
Collene

Location: A little south of Minnesota's extreme north in the USA

Re: slow video issue

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 am

HI, John. Welcome to the community.

MOVs are, unfortunately, the format that Vegas has the most trouble with, in my experience. Among other things, the program has trouble reading the video specs, so it has trouble matching its project properties to them. And the speed of your processor and video card won't do much to help.

My recommendation is that you use Movie Studio to "convert" the MOV into a more easily digestible format before you add to a project. You can do this by adding the MOV to an empty Movie Studio project, placing it on your timeline and then using Render As to output the file.

If you're going to be working on a standard definition project, you can Render As a Windows AVI using the DV template (or DV Widescreen). If you're going to be working in hi-def, you're probably best using the Render As template for a Sony AVC 1920x1080 60i.

The file you output should then work much more smoothly in your Movie Studio project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas