They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Low resolution clips ... can't use them, correct?

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Low resolution clips ... can't use them, correct?

Postby Uncle Ben » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:34 am

I'm doing a HD Video make up primarily of a slideshow, transitions and a few movie clips.

Some of the movie clips are HD, so they render nicely, no problem.

But there are a few very nice lips in lower resolution, some as low as 320 x 240. Is there a way to bring those in by any chance whereby the clip, albeit small, would not be distorted? For example, is there a way to bring such a low-resolution clip as an overlay on a still? :pull:
Uncle Ben

Re: Low resolution clips ... can't use them, correct?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Uncle Ben, make sure that you right click on the clip on the timeline and make sure you do not have the "Scale To Framesize" option checked. Depending on the size of your project the 320 x 240 clip may be quite small. Not sure how that would look on the final export.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 am

I often use standard definition video in a high definition project. I usually use a photo/still as a background, sometimes a screen grab from the video blown up to full screen in black and white with a little blur, then have the video sitting on top of this. As Chuck says do make sure "Scale to Frame" is off for the video clip.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 am

Didn't realize we were in the Vegas forum, don't know if there is something similar to Scale to Framesize in Vegas :-k
Sorry for the confusion :oops:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Oops neither did I. :conf: In Vegas there are a couple of ways of doing it. Either right click the clip and in Media Properties select Maintain aspect. Otherwise in the Pan/Crop window right click and select maintian source aspect.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you both for your help. I was able to convert SD clips to HD and they're turning out OK; but not the smaller 320 x 240. I'll try the "maintain aspect" suggestion ... I'm still learning and by the looks of it, I will be in learning mode for quite some time to come! This software is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be ... That being said, it's getting better every day and I'll stick to it.

Cheers!
Uncle Ben

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 am

Yes Sony Vegas is not very intuitive... infact some things are totally counter-intutive. I found Premiere elements much, much easier to learn.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 am

Paul LS wrote:Yes Sony Vegas is not very intuitive... in fact some things are totally counter-intutive. I found Premiere elements much, much easier to learn.

Yes, and I can see that Premierre Elements gets a lot more action here than Sony Movie Studio. It's too bad I didn't know about this site before I purchased SMS ... But now that I'm half way through the learning curve, I'll stick to it. I understand that the extra time to learn SMS is well worth it, that it is more potent than Elements. Is that true? I do like the integration with DVD Architect which, unlike Movie Studio, is a real charm to use. Thank you for your comments.
Uncle Ben

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am

Both Vegas Studio and Premiere Elements are quite powerful editors. There is little to seperate the two... as you say Vegas has the advantage of DVD Architect studio but many folks here use it with Premiere Elements. For me the biggest difference for a novice is that the learning curve for Premiere Elements is not so steep as discussed.

I use the Vegas Pro version which is more powerful and has compositing capability... which is great for 3D work such as page turns, spinning cubes etc without having to delve into Adobe After Effects to achieve.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

Yes, I saw a few You Tube videos on Vegas Pro ... Inasmuch as I'd like it, I think it's a little bit beyond my reach and probably overkill for my purpose. Thanks again, now I don't feel so bad about SMS, and I'll keep on muddling through.

Cheers!
Uncle Ben

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:03 am

There are a few Vegas Studio/Pro users here on the forum so if you have any issues post and I am sure you will get an answer. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Vegas