They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie Studio HD Planitum 12 Files

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Movie Studio HD Planitum 12 Files

Postby OldFrank » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi,
Glad to have found this site and Steve's Books. I just received the Guide to Platinum 11 and it's great.

My question is this. What are the file names and extensions used by the software? I'm running it in W7. I'm a computer type (programmer) and like to know where and what is on my machines.

I'm in the process of setting it up fresh so this is a good time to get the file organization right before I have a bunch of projects in process. I have an external 1TB drive (either USB 3 or eSata) that I would like to use to store the project and original files. I actually have MS 12 installed on both a notebook and desktop and want to be able to use either on existing projects. Any suggestions on how to set it all up?

FYI, I have Lightroom 4 and PS5 on the same machines and use this approach with them.

Hope I've been clear. I'm not sensitive so if it all in the book on page ???? let me know.

frank
OldFrank
New User
New User

Re: Movie Studio HD Planitum 12 Files

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Frank, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

I'm sure that Steve, or someone who knows the answer to your question, will be around before long :)
Just wanted to welcome you to the best forum in the known universe :::muvipix:::
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 am

Movie Studio 10 (the last one I've got) uses the .vf extension for project files. When media is imported often a .sfk file is created (which contains the peek information.) Is that what you needed to know? Don't wish to state the obvious but you know that unhiding "known" extensions will display the full filenames of everything.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Frank. And thanks for your kind words about the book!

Generally the best solution for any video editing is to keep your project and media files on your second hard drive. We also recommend starting a new folder for each new project file. It's just good housekeeping.

Assuming you've got a good, fast data flow between between your hard drives (eSata is excellent), it should work great.

When you first move your old project and media files to this new hard drive, your media files may show up as missing when you open your project. It just needs your help relocating the media project, as I describe at the end of chapter 4. After you've done that, it should work well.

The only liability to using an external drive is if you're working with hi-def video and your data connection isn't fast enough. If that's the case, you may find the program's performance a bit sluggish.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby OldFrank » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks,
So the only files I need to be concerned with is the .vf , .sfk, and the original source files? If I have these on the external drive in a project folder then can I plug the drive into either of my computers and have everything I need to work on the project. The same should be true then for backing up the project. The thing I am trying to avoid is some orphaned files that are stored on the main drive and not transfer with the external.

The drive speed shouldn't be a problem, but I will watch for any sign of a problem.

Thanks to all. I will go back and study Chapt 4 of the book Steve.

frank
OldFrank
New User
New User

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 pm

But, isn't there a problem with moving files that movie studio had used previously in a project? If you open the project, (if you can find it at the new location), Movie Studio has problems finding the clips you had imported previously. I think Steve has a fix for that and maybe he will chime in to let you know if my theory is correct or not.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby OldFrank » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:But, isn't there a problem with moving files that movie studio had used previously in a project? If you open the project, (if you can find it at the new location), Movie Studio has problems finding the clips you had imported previously. I think Steve has a fix for that and maybe he will chime in to let you know if my theory is correct or not.

That would normally be true, but if all the files are on the external drive, and I make sure both my desktop and notebook assigns the same drive letter to the external it should work.

frank
OldFrank
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 am

That's right, Frank. As long as the directories remain the same and the project and media files are on the same drive, the program should have no problems locating the media files when you open a project even if you've moved the external hard drive to a new computer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas