They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Loss in quality when editing .avi ??

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Loss in quality when editing .avi ??

Postby prem » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:10 am

I am quite new to editing and am not sure as to the best workflow proceedure. I downloaded about two hours of video from my sony hard drive camcorder to my pc. I am editing in small segments and now have four 12 - 15 minutes semi edited segments on the timeline in four projects. I cannot preview fully as the frame rate drops drastically and the pc hangs! Preview is set at preview auto. I have rendered the segments as video for windows .avi files. More editing etc still needs to be done. What is the best proceedure please for further editing? Do I edit the. avi files in a new project or the events in the existing projects on the timeline? If I work on .avi files would there be degradation in video/audio quality when I finally save as/render as mpeg-2 and ac3. It would appear that the original files (.mpg) from the camcorder get converted first to avi and then to mpeg-2 for burning to DVD. Surely there would be loss in quality. I would be very thankful for advice.
Prem
PC: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD3600, Windows 7 64-bit, Sony VMS 10.
Camcorder: Sony Hard Disk Drive Handycam DCR-SR52E.
prem
New User
New User

Re: Loss in quality when editing .avi ??

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Prem, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

One of the Vegas users will be around shortly to help you with your problem.
I am a Premiere Elements user but wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that an answer is on the way :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 am

Welcome, Prem!

Much depends on the type of video you're getting from that camcorder and how you have your project set up. You'll get the best performance and best results if you ensure that your project properties match your video format and codecs.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from? Is this standard definition or AVC footage?

And which version of Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio are you using?

BTW, have you checked out our great free Basic Training tutorials for Vegas Movie Studio?
http://Muvipix.com/vms11.php
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:37 am

prem wrote:PC: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD3600, Windows 7 64-bit, Sony VMS 10.
Camcorder: Sony Hard Disk Drive Handycam DCR-SR52E.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 am

Okay, that camcorder shoots standard definition MPEG.

The best thing to do is to create a new video project and, on the settings page, use the Match Settings option to sample one of the clips. This will automatically set your project up to work with that video format. And it should make a big difference in how the program performs.

However, you may need to adjust the frame rate and quality of your Preview also, depending how long and intensive your project is. Set it to Preview/Automatic quality to start and see if that too makes a difference.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby prem » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks for a quick response Steve.
Your Guide to VMS 11 is absolutely superb and I am following every suggestion in the book. Your cross references are very useful. Can't miss any topic. Very thorough indeed.
I was wondering if there is any loss in video quality as the original video from the camera, MPEG, gets converted to AVI and then back to MPEG if I set up a new project with AVI clips.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Prem
PC: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD3600, Windows 7 64-bit.
Editing: Sony VMS 10 platinum suite.
Camcorder: Sony Hard Disk Drive Handycam DCR-SR52E standard definition.
prem
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:58 am

If you've got your project properly set up using the Match Settings tool, prem, you should not see any significant loss in the move the MPEG camcorder video to DV to MPEG/DVD.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas