They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Subtitles

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Subtitles

Postby UnclePaul » Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 am

Hi,

Beginning to know the Sony Arch studio reasonably well, thanks to Steves book, but have one thing I want to do, which it can't, so if anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

The thing I want to do is add two language subtitles as the area I live / work in has two main languages, and although English is ok for most, some do not or will not use English unbless forced to.

I wish to assist them by adding their language, but obviously the Vegas 10HD / Sony Arch Studio setup does not cater for this.

Any suggestions... To be honest, the subtitles are very few as its mainly just used a filler in for either slide shows or small videos to allow the viewer to get a better feel for whats going on.

If their was pre-recorded audio its left as-is as thats what happened.

I was going to do two sets of whatever i do, one with the one language, the other with the second language subtitles and then have a selction on the menu.

However this is a bit clumsy, adds to the DVD size which I have to cut lots of at times, and on occasions would mean I ahve to cut out parts of the videos to make space for two sets on the DVD.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Paul Ridgway
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Re: Subtitles

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 am

The Pro version of DVD Architect includes the option to add subtitles in a variety of languages, I believe.

However, I don't believe that DVD Architect Pro is available as a standalone purchase. You must buy the entire Vegas Pro production suite.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/

Likewise, Encore (sold as part of Adobe's production suite) includes this feature -- though for a a few hundred more dollars.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnclePaul » Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks.

I sort of knew that, and its possibly, although I might be wrong here, because the pro video editors allow the subtitles to be exported seperately for use by the Pro DVD Menu program.

If Vegas 10 HD studio can export subtitles, not sure here, don't use it much, then maybe someone has used another DVD authoring package for subtitles and can comment, would appreciate any input here.

Actually like the Sony DVd Arch studio as it works, seems very stable, but if I have to move and its not too expensive, might contemplate it.

Was hoping there was a sneaky way round this... other than my original plan to use two sets of video and have a choice of whichever on the menu and this switches itself to a menu with the appropriate language etc.

Thanks again.

Paul Ridgway
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Subtitles

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Not that it's helpful, but I just completed a project in DVDAS using the method you describe. I had a couple of choir recordings and I had to make separate copies, with and without lyrics subtitles. It works okay if you have enough disc space, but is a problem on larger projects. I guess for the price of the program you can't have it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby UnclePaul » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 am

Hi,

Thanks, will be going this route for now as almost all the work I do for free as I am working in a very poor area.

I did look at the TPMGEnc authorware 4 trial as someone else said it was good, and it does what I want, but it is so different to the Sony arch studio 5.0 which I quite like, and the price is almost what I paid for the whole Sony Vegas 10HD studio platinum package so I can't justify the outlay unless something pops up that warrents it, or pays for it.

Obviously if something big pops up I might look at the Sony Pro route, but jolly, for me thats a big jump in outlay especially as I don't even own a video camera etc, just do odd work for those here who have slides or small video they want on DVD to keep or show their friends.

Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

Paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Return to DVD Architect