They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Easily Burn a 3-Button Blu-ray on SD DVD

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Easily Burn a 3-Button Blu-ray on SD DVD

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 am

The interface for DVD Architect Studio [5.0] may seem intimidating at first. .... But don't panic. Once you know where things are, you'll find it a remarkably intuitive workspace.--The Muvipix.com Guide to DVD Architect Studio 5.0 by SteveGrisetti

I have 3 slide shows, all of which I've shared to Personal Computer (to a HDD) from PRE7 as MPEG H.264 1920x1080 30 files. They together add up to nearly 30 minutes of BluRay-quality video. Here, once one has perused the appropriate sections of Steve's books, is how easy it is to burn a BluRay with a Title and 3-button Menu on a SD DVD.

1. In DVDAS5, go to File>New and on the resulting General tab click Menu Based; Disc format: Blu-ray Disc; Project Video Format: AVC 1920x1080-60i, 16:9; Project audio format: PCM (the only choice for Blu-ray); click OK
2. On the Toolbar, go to Insert>Media and then browse, one by one, to each of the H.264 files
3. In the Workspace panel, note the presence of the first image from each of your slide shows
4. On the Themes tab at the lower left, right-click on the desired combination of background and buttons and select Apply Theme–DVDAS5.0 instantly aligns one’s buttons (3 in my case); note that the title of each of the 3 H.264 files can be found below the button (if you do not see both the image and the title, right-click on each button and select Button Style>Text and Image)
5. To change the title below each button, left-click on each button and then click on the Edit Text button; select the desired font, txt style, paragraphing, etc
6. To change the image within the button, click on Button Properties>Thumbnail Properties>Start Time in the upper right Properties panel; click the drop down to reveal a scroll bar that can be used to advance to the next slide (or, enter the appropriate time)
7. In the Workspace panel, click on Menu 1 then Edit Text to give a title to the overall disc
8. Click File>Optimize Disc>Project Properties to verify that the Disc format is Blu-ray Disc and that the Target media size (GB) is 4.70 (if using a single-sided SD DVD); for maximum Blu-ray quality, check the lower left to verify that the bit rate is 18.000 and that the Estimated size is less than 4.700 GB (however, according to Steve’s book, quality will still be acceptable provided the Mbps does not drop below 9); click OK
8. On the Toolbar, click Preview>Preview Disc
9. If your disc plays flawlessly on the Preview, then on the Toolbar click Make Blu-ray Disc>Burn (this action will both burn a Disc AND create an .iso file that can be used in the future to rapidly burn as many actual discs as desired*

This [url]Burn Blu-ray to Folder[/url]capability alone, IMO, more than justifies the reasonable cost of the software together with its "missing manual" in the form of Steve's book.

:hat:
_____
*Here are some of the additional actions one may easily perform with the software and book:
--personalize disc menus with custom graphics and backgrounds
--bring disc menus to life with animation and music
--include alternate takes, outtakes and bonus features
--add playlists, slideshows and compilations
--create custom button and highlights
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Easily Burn a 3-Button Blu-ray on SD DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am

Very nice workflow, George!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Very nice workflow, George!

:tx:

BTW, I forgot the following:

7.5: To force a return to the Top Menu when the Stop menu marker that you placed at the end of your PRE7 timeline is reached, use the Toggle button at the top of the Project Overview panel.

Toggle button.jpg

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:37 am

Actually, that button just changes the view in the Project Overview panel so that End Actions are displayed, George. It has no effect on the structure or performance of the disc itself.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Actually, that button just changes the view in the Project Overview panel so that End Actions are displayed, George. It has no effect on the structure or performance of the disc itself.

Interesting, as I thought I'd noticed that when a PRE7 Stop marker in a movie was reached, DVDSA5 would not take me back to the top menu unless this switch was toggled to show Link, however, on p.157 I just read that Media Properties>End Action defines what will happen when a Stop marker is reached.

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

George Tyndall's excellent instructions above about how to burn a Blu-ray on SD DVD is no longer valid. Very sorry to say. The recent build (157) of DVD Arch will not allow us to burn a AVCHD Blue-ray file onto a DVD anymore.

There is a work around but it involves other software.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 03, 2012 6:51 am

That's correct TreeTops. I'm still not sure why they removed this feature, but they certainly did.

Stranger still, they removed it mid-version! It used to work in version 5 -- but, after a patch was issued for the software, it no longer did.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu May 03, 2012 8:56 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:... I'm still not sure why they removed this feature, but they certainly did....

The cynic in me suggests that it couldn't possibly be because Sony receive a 'commission' on every BD disc sold? So stopping BD output to SD DVDs makes them money.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby George Tyndall » Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:but, after a patch was issued for the software, it no longer did.

That is yet another example of why, if my system is doing everything that I need it to do, I am loathe to make any changes--and if I do decide to "take a chance," I always take a snapshot of my system with Rollback-RX before proceeding (I don't rely on System Restore anymore).

[-o<
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Architect