They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question about remote control menu buttons

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Question about remote control menu buttons

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:55 pm

My Panasonic disc player remote has only one menu button on it that affects the playback on my DVDAS-made discs directly - it's called "Top Menu." It also has a button called "Pop-Up Menu" and another called "Sub Menu." The first doesn't do anything at all. The second brings up a small menu with several options on it, one of which is called "Menu."

In the DVDAS Preview mode there is only one "Menu" button on the simulated remote. In previewing my latest DVD, if a video was started from the main menu, that menu button will return me to the main menu. I have two scene selection menus, both linked to scene markers in the same video (think of them as scenes 1-6 and 7-12). In DVDAS, If the video was started from the first of the scene selection menus, that menu button will return to the first scene selection menu. Starting from the second scene menu returns to the second scene menu. So far so good.

Now for the interesting part. On my disc player remote, if I interrupt play that was started from the main menu by pressing the Top Menu button, I'm returned to the main menu. However, if I interrupt play that was started from the first scene menu I'm returned to the second scene menu. If I start from the second scene menu and press Top Menu I'm still returned to the second scene menu.

So, in DVDAS everything appears to work as is should, but when playing in my disc player I'm not getting the actions that I'm expecting. Is this A) an end action setting that I'm missing in DVDAS, or is it B) a quirk in the way my disc player responds, or is it C) a poorly designed remote control, or D) none of the above?

If anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Question about remote control menu buttons

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm

You've definitely stumped me, Dave!

Although, as I'm sure you know, you can set up behaviors for Remote Buttons Properties, I'm not sure if there is a way to program behavior for that particular remote control of yours.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 pm

So Steve, when you say that you can set up behaviors for remote buttons properties, are you talking about standard stuff like which menu button becomes highlighted next when you push a particular arrow key on the remote, or are you talking about other kinds of things?

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 am

Dave McElderry wrote:...... It also has a button called "Pop-Up Menu"......doesn't do anything at all

Dave, according to my Panny BD user manual - Quote: "the 'Pop-up' menu is a special feature available with some BluRay discs."

If your player is not a BD model then this suggests to me that the Panny remotes are of a universal design rather than specific to any given player.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 am

Yes, it's a Blu-Ray disc player. The model is a DMP-BD60. I didn't mean to imply that I was necessarily expecting the Pop-Up button to do anything. I was just trying to describe the menu buttons that I have available and what effect they did have (if any) while playing a DVD. I found it curious that the only menu button on the remote that actually affects the disc play directly did not have the same results as the one on the DVDAS simulator.

Dave McElderry

Return to DVD Architect