They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Latest experience DVD Architect Studio

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Latest experience DVD Architect Studio

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 am

I have just finished a video from my vacation in Disney World in August. For the first time, I used AVCHD Lite video instead of video from my mini-DV camcoeder. I used MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 plus for the video editing becuse it supports that format.

When I made the video, I did it in segments divided by theme. Each segment was really its own chapter.(themes divided by theme park, resort we stayed in, etc.)

Because I have an older computer, 2.8GHz, Pentium 4 HT, I needed to use proxy editing. It worked out great. I edited with a quality video and replacing the low quality video with the high def AVCHD lite when finished. I put all the segments together in the timeline (MEP allows the merging of projects). However, since I have such an outdated PC, I could not get MEP to export the extire timeline to a video without crashing at some point, with the Hi Def video.

So I exported each segment into a separate video.

When authoring, I used DVDAS, which made putting this whole thing togeter possible and straight forward.

From the main menu I inserted a sub menu. In the sub menu I added all my clips. It got crowded, so I added an additional sub menu in the 1st sub menu and added the remainder of clips in there.

Back in the first sub-menu, Ichanged the end action of the first video clip to go directly to the next. Made end action of second clip poin to the third clip. Did this for all the clips so that it would play continusously. The last video clips end action was to go to the most recent menu.

Then I chose button styles and background media as usual.

I wanted a play all button on the main menu. I first though a playlist would work, I added this and it worked fine on the preview, and also the burnt disc when played on my PC. However, the playlist did not play properly on my DVD player connected to out TV. Very strange. The order was not random, but at some point it would not play each video in order. I checked my setting and it was set to play continusously. But my DVD player had issues with this.

So I thought of another way. I just put the 1st video segment on the main page and made that the play all, and it's end action was set to play the second video, whose end action was already set, so it played the entire video sequentially, and when complete, went back to the main menu. Works great. Using the same video clip in 2 different menus does not take anyextra disc space. DVDAS is smart enough to know the media is already onthe disc.

I changed the highlight color and shape (used a mickey mouse shape) for each button.

I am more proud of this menu than with any other I have ever made. I need to thank Steve again for his book, which helped me get started with this software. Great book.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Latest experience DVD Architect Studio

Postby Bobby » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks JohnnyO for this and the thread on creating menu backgrounds. It is just amazing the power we have these days!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 am

Great success story, Johnny!

One of the things I like about DVD Architect -- even the Studio version -- is its versatility. Even for doing assembling your DVD in a non-traditional way, as you're doing, there's likely a way to do it.

It's not without its limitations, of course. But it remains my go-to program for DVD authoring.

And thanks also for the kind words about the book! I'm very proud of the results, and even I refer to it often as I'm working.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:39 am

Steve:
The more I use DVDAS, the more I like it. It has such great tools to make things easier. For example, I have started using the navication tool which isa great assistance is seeing the button navigation.

I have also been playing around with the snap and grid settings to make life easier placing buttons and text.

The more I use it the more powe I see it is capable of.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 am

I always take the time to set up button navigation for each button on each screen. It is dull, repetitive work, but then I know that the navigation keys do exactly what I want. Am I a perfectionist?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 am

I always take the time to set up button navigation for each button on each screen. It is dull, repetitive work, but then I know that the navigation keys do exactly what I want. Am I a perfectionist?

Bobby, I agree that taking the extra time to set up the button navigation is worth it. Not only do I get the nagigation keys to do what want, my wife does not complain about the navigation any longer. I make sure the navigation is intuitive.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47 am

I do the same thing in Encore but the navigation is really easy to set up, 12 buttons only takes a few minutes.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect