They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Architect Studio feature question

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVD Architect Studio feature question

Postby AVITRY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:43 am

I'd like to say a HELLO to all, and to those who have helped me in the past, a thank you. I hope I can be of help to some in the future as well. I'm getting back into video conversions and re-familiarizing myself with all the great resources online. When I left, Muvipix was in it's infancy.

Steve, as I restart my video editing related web surfing, I find that you have written a book on DVDAS. Thats great, I'll be ordering that book. If this is an ok place to ask a quick question, I'd like to.

One of the features I use very often in DVD Workshop is the ability to place graphics on the menu page and adjust their opacity, size and position so that the background menu graphic can been seen through the smaller overlay.

My background graphic is more often than not, one of the beginning scenes of the video, and the graphic overlay I speak of is usually a billboard type graphic that I place text on explaining who is playing in the video billiards match, which again I can size and place as needed.

If theses features, importing graphics, controlling opacity, sizing and locating of graphics (and even making some of them buttons) are something DVDAS can do, I'm in! :TU:

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DVD Architect Studio feature question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 am

Hi, Joe! Glad you found us here on Muvipix. It's a great community of videomakers. (Joe, in case anyone doesn't recognize his name, used to be a regular on the Adobe forums.)

DVD Architect Studio should do most of what you're trying to do. About the only thing it can't do is opacity, I believe.

You can:

Overlay and size graphics and text to menu page backgrounds (These graphics can even be video clips!)

And yes, of course, you can use any graphic you want as a button on a menu page

Glad to hear you've ordered the book! It should show you how to do most anything the program can do.

And please feel free to ask away here if you've got any specific questions! There are a couple of folks here who are big fans of the program, and we can probably answer about any question you might have.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for the speedy reply Steve. Shoot, I was really hoping there was a way to set overlay opacity. My needs in an authoring program are limited and redundant in each video DVD I produce, but to maintain what standard layout I've been using in DVD Workshop, opacity is a biggie for me. I'm still interested in reading your book.

Is this program still a work in progress with Sony and can future versions be expected? Maybe there is a place to enter wish list requests.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 am

I don't know that there's been a new version introduced by Sony in some time, Joe. I think they consider it pretty much done.

Their professional version of the program -- which is only available bundled with Sony Vegas -- supports more professional features (like multiple language soundtracks, subtitles, etc.). But the basic functions are about the same.

Sorry opacity is the deal killer for you. Aside from adding semi-opaque layers to Premiere Elements DVD templates using Photoshop Elements, I'm not sure what else will do it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks Steve, I guess I just have to accept that I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and pickup where I left off trying to figure out why DVD Workshop doesn't like dv-avi files from PE2.

Interesting, as I recall I could capture the dv from the canopus directly into PE2 and export that dv-avi into DVD Workshop with no issue at all, BUT ... if I should put that dv-avi capture on the timeline of PE2 and do the simplest of edits like trim a few seconds off the ends, when I re-render the dv-avi and then try to import to DVD Workshop the resulting DVD displays as though there were a field order issue with all the jitters.

If I use the same process with any other NLE ( Including Premiere Pro) there is no issue with DVD Workshop.

The killer is, if I use the above process with PE2 and then trim and export the dv-avi to DVD Architect Studio, there is no issue with jitters.

My short term solution has been to render the PE2 edits to mpeg in PE2 and then import the mpeg to Workshop with no issues. The problem with that method is merely trying to accurately determine the compression ratio closely to get the best quality result.

That and I haven't even powered on my video editing computer in over a year ... ](*,)
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby bStro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:53 am

True, DVD Architect Studio doesn't give you the option of changing the opacity of an inserted graphic.

But it does support PNG files and respect their alpha channel transparency. Simple solution would be to use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, The GIMP, or some other graphics editor to lower the opacity of your image, save it to a PNG, and use that in DVD Architect Studio. In fact, that gives a lot more options than just a straight "lower opacity" option in DVD Architect.

As for DVD Architect Studio being a "work in progress," well, Sony has come out with new versions fairly regularly over the years, so I see no reason to expect 4.5 to be the last version ever, if that's what you're asking. That said, I wouldn't expect them to change much as far as options for inserted graphics. The main focus for DVD Architect has always been on the "nitty gritty" of DVD authoring -- the design features have always been secondary. Personally, I tend to do most of my design work outside of DVD Architect and let it do what it was built for -- turning raw materials into DVDs.

Rob
bStro
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Just wanted to say hi to Joe, where have you been?
Sure has been a long time since I saw that name (AVITRY) around.

Glad to see you are still around, I hope all is going well for you.
Thanks for dropping in, it's great to hear from you again :TU:

And bStro, Welcome to Muvipix to you and Joe both :)
:meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Hey Chuck!! How are ya? Good to be back at it ( I think ) :) frustration with that issue :pull: had me reverting to my old vise which was shooting pool, LOL. Anyway, sure is good to be back chatting with everyone.

bStro, that sounds like a good option, would the saved file be scalable once it was inserted back into DVDAS?

joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:41 pm

It's not just PNG format that supports transparency. I use PSD all the time. Probably any format that DVDAS can read that contains transparency will be honored. Just be sure to insert as a graphic. Insert media will create a button. And, yes, it is scalable once inserted.
Bob

Return to DVD Architect