They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Architect 7.0 flicker

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVD Architect 7.0 flicker

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 am

Aloha all y'all . . .
I have been using DVD Architect for decades... I just love that program...
Until recently...
I created a menu of 4 pages and anywhere from 4 link items to about 16 link items per page.
I produced a trial disk... it has flickers through most of the video... not the intros, or other ancillary programs, just the main videos.
All of which consist of 1 to 30 or so individual still images with text and a music track.
All the music plays without distortion, but the video flickers like crazy at times.
I re-rendered all the video hoping it might help, but when I view it in DVDA, there comes the flicker - even before I burn the disk.
Is it an indication that I am doing something wrong? OR I'm attempting something out of the normal acceptable tolerances in DVDA?
I've checked the .pdf online manual, but no mention of flicker in the troubleshooting section.
The only one I found so far that does NOT flicker is the video with a single image... hmmm...
Evidently, it isn't the burning process, but some sort of message from DVDA, yes?
It's a simple project with only one track of text, one track of the still images, a single background image track, and a single music track.
Please help me Mr. Wizard... wherever you are. . .
I've looked at most of the video... I can't remember a single one that didn't have flicker ... well, just the one of a single classmate.
It's a DVD of classmates from high school graduation back in 1966 ... okay, okay, it wasn't THAT long ago... :ha:
"Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina:
Aloha y'all . . ."

Until that time. . .
Born on Valley Isle; Home now, North Carolina; Aloha y'all . . .
Razer Laptop; WIN 10/64-bit; Vegas 18.0; DVDA 7.0; PGMX Creator v. 1.0.6.7
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Re: DVD Architect 7.0 flicker

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:43 am

What are you loading into your DVD Architect project?

Did you build the slideshows in DVD Architect or did you create all of your video in a program like Vegas and output them as a video for loading into your DVD Architect project?

And if you did the later, what are the specs of the video you loading into DVD Architect?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:31 pm

Aloha Steve, thanks for the quick response.
I built all the video in Vegas 18... render them to .mp4 files, then build the DVD using .mp4 files.
That could be a problem, except other .mp4 files don't give me a problem, only the ones with mostly B/W slide shows.
None of the color videos give me flicker.
The flicker appears when I use Preview in DVDA to view the video off the simulated DVD menu and the remote control simulation.
Is it because I fail to make video and audio files separately?
I have never used that method... I let the DVDA remake the files it needs.
The only errors I get during the burn process is that the audio will be recompressed... no red flags...
Is that something forced to take place (offering DVDA separate audio and video) in DVDA newer versions?
I guess I could try it with one of the files and see how it goes... I just have all the graduates grouped by name, minus Z and X... no graduates in those categories.
I guess it doesn't take any long than rendering to .mp4, right?
I put all the .mpg video files in the same folder, correct? Then use the video file for building the DVD,
and the audio (.ac3) gets automagically dragged into the DVD when needed, right?
Would lowering the specs help make a smoother video...
I've overlooked that quite a bit, I just thought the program would select the best setting automagically itself.
Let me peek at it...
I can post one of the glitchey videos to my vimeo account, if you want to see the flicker in action... (grin)
I just can't figure out what it could be... (sigh)

Thanks for any help...
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Aloha all y'all. . .
I have a temporary fix...
Once I broke down the video (mpg) and and audio (ac3) into separate files... voila, Viola! No more flicker...
It worked for the A and B group of classmates... no flicker from the preview in DVDA, which I was seeing before.
So, I surmise that it will work for burning a better, flicker-free DVD as well.
I'd cross my fingers, but I can't do much work by pounding on the keyboard with my elbows...
I'll fix up the rest of the alphabet soup I have here and let all y'all know how it worked out in the morning after I burn another trial disk... (sigh)
Not as complicated as it appears at first...
put everything (video and audio) in the same folder, put the mpg files in DVDA,
and let it pull in the audio when needed for preview or burning a disk.
I guess the program is getting so sophisticated and complex that easy things like burning a few mp4 files creates havoc for what the program expects...
(wink)
Another late night... after trapping all day on the boat...
put away the steaks, dear, I'm coming home with a big case of crabs... LOL

Until that time. . .
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm

I'm glad you found the solution, Earl.

I was going to suggest that, if you are making a DVD, you output from Vegas DVD-ready MPEGs rather than MP4s -- which is essentially what you've done.

I always recommend that you use video files in DVD Architect that are as close to the final product as possible. I'm not sure which template you used, but there are DVD-ready output templates in both Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio. If you use them to output any movies you're going to use in DVD Architect you should not have any jumpiness in you finished DVD.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Earl_J_MauiBoy wrote:I'm coming home with a big case of crabs... LOL

That happened to me in high school and the doctor gave me some ointment

But seriously, glad you found a solution.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Aloha all y'all. . .
it appears our celebrating a solution was a bit premature...
Half-way through the burn process, I have an error message that the burner or disk is not compatible...
I just tried another DVD... BOTH of which burned fine yesterday (both DVD-Rs - one Verbatim and the other a Phillips).
So, now that I think I've solved the flicker problem - I'll need a new disk burner, it appears.
Here are my messages. . . all that gobbledegoop has my head spinning. . .
(sigh)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:04 am

It was some while ago so my recollection may be off but I do recall seeing flicker when writing video files to a DVD that had still images. The flicker was always most noticable on still images of faces where it looked like the eyes were blinking very rapidly.

My solution was to ensure that all video clips containing still images were written out as progressive not interlaced files.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:34 am

I don't know what is up with your disc burner. But meantime you can output your disc as a Prepared File to your hard drive. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder which you can use a program like ImgBurn to burn to your discs. It takes no more time, and it gives you an archive of your finished video on your hard drive.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:51 am

Aloha all y'all. . . and you both twosheds, and Steve...
for the quick response. . .
I appreciate the the tip, Steve, but storage isn't the problem; I'm building a DVD for distribution to classmates.
It is a DVD-R disk with a printable facing so I can print the label directly to the disk...
Storage is not the problem, I want it to look a bit more collectible quality... and I am building a 3-DVD set of them.
My next step is to go get a more recent DVD burner... the one I have is as old as I have been using DVDA... LOL
Well, made in Korea in 2006? I didn't think it was that recent... only 15 years old. . . it's a Samsung writemaster.
I can get another LG or ASUS burner for less than $40 at Bestbuy... we'll see how that works.
You know, I don't remember being this forgetful when I was younger... (wink)
Prior to that, I guess I was using the built in DVD burner on my computers back in the early days...
My first was a Casablanca device... another German device (more like a contraption) that got old very quickly...
They were built on the car model - they wanted me to buy a new one every year... they used the previous year's
technology... it looked like it was always going to be a year behind the technology ... and they only supported the present model...
Forget it... I started looking for a software solution and stumbled on Sony Vegas 4.0... my best investment ever (wink)
I looked at the DVD Styler last night... it is free, but pretty limited... I didn't see any way to make text-only labels...
I only watched two or three YT videos, so maybe there is a way... Mr. Wizard would know, I bet...
It is free, but what a big step down from DVDA (sigh)
We'll see how a new burner works today with DVDA... I'm just not ready to throw in the towel just yet...
I just hope it works... wish me luck. I guess I'll have another report this afternoon...

Until that time. . .
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:50 am

Dave McElderry wrote:
Earl_J_MauiBoy wrote:I'm coming home with a big case of crabs... LOL

That happened to me in high school and the doctor gave me some ointment

:hyst: :CS: :hyst:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:38 pm

For what it's worth, not only is DVD Styler free but it's also one of the few DVD authoring programs left out there. As you know DVD Architect has been discontinued -- and I'm not aware of any professional DVD authoring program still being sold. It seems the DVD is going the way of the Betamax.

CyberLink PowerDirector is a video editor that includes a very robust DVD/BluRay production tool, but that's about it. There are a couple of very basic apps out there, but I don't know of any really fully loaded disc authoring systems.

Does anybody else know of any? Does Ulead or Roxio still sell their products?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Aloha Chuck. . .
it's an old fishing and islanders/coastline joke. . .
I certainly didn't mean to bring up any irritating memories... (wink)
You made me chuckle as well. . . I think you were chuckling when you wrote it. . . yes?

Until that time. . . :-D
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Aloha all y'all. . .
Last report on this week-long saga.
I bought a new DVD burner... a thin sliver of a device not much bigger than a DVD itself and as thin as a pencil.
It's a Dell-DW-316... for about $30 ... on sale for a few pennies less at Best Buy.
It was manufactured in 2020, which is good ... Made in China, which is not so good. so what else is new? (sigh)
It came packaged with CyberLink programs... Power2Go 8.0; PowerDirector 15.0; and Power DVD 14.0.
I decided to try it right out of the box before installing yet more junk that I probably will never need...
It worked flawlessly. WIN 10 detected it right off; DVDA recognized it as a legitimate writer; so off we went.
It burned a disk without any flicker - except for one from a video I probably overlooked with the complete redo yesterday.
Very minor dozen of so flickers over 10 - 12 seconds ... I can live with that.
I broke my link to the last page where the bonus features are located, but everything else looks kosher now.
I guess if you're picky enough to select DVDA to help you burn disks, it feels confident enough to be picky about who
it permits to complete the project for us in return . . . KAPLAH !
It looks like not only have I fixed the flicker problem with the new burner, but I also have a disk full of programs ready
in case the whole Vegas world goes to hell in a hand-basket.
I'm continuing to run my Vegas 18.0 and DVDA 7.0 until the wheels fall off completely... (grin)

Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all. . .

Until that time. . .
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Sounds like a good day all around, Earl.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect