They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Place links on opening screen-instead of on submenu?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Place links on opening screen-instead of on submenu?

Postby cgwaters » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:23 pm

I used Movie Studio to create markers in my video (including one at the start of the video), then I selected Make Movie to prepare the content for use in DVD Architect. Within DVD Architect, I created a submenu and then used the markers to create links to each marker.

Is it possible to have the links on the opening screen (instead of on a submenu)? I copied the links to the opening screen ... and they work, initially ... but after I do minor edits (change X/Y location, text, etc.) the links are breaking; i.e., the items in the menu tree (in the left window) all say "Broken Link" -- even the ones I didn't touch. So I'm wondering if this is even possible.
cgwaters

Re: Place links on opening screen-instead of on submenu?

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Yes it's possible. The question is what is breaking your links. Simply changing the position of the button or changing the text shouldn't do that. Can you post a screen shot of what the main menu and the other panels look like when the links are broken? Specifically, I would like you to select one of the items with a broken link in the left panel and select the actions tab in the button properties panel -- then take the screen shot of the entire screen.
Bob

Postby cgwaters » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks, Bob. Here are more details: I was able to press Ctrl-Z to the point where the links weren't broken. It turns out I deleted the button that gets added to the opening menu page upon import from Movie Studio. When I proceed to delete that object, my links break. Is the button required?
cgwaters

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:13 am

You can remove the button if you don't need/want it -- but then you'll need to repair the End Actions/broken links. Otherwise your viewers with click a button or watch a clip and they'll reach a dead end!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cgwaters » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks, Steve. I'll try that. It wasn't clear to me what the relationship is between the links and the button.
cgwaters

Postby cgwaters » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:06 pm

I forgot to mention that I added a JPG file as the background media on Page 1.

Prior to my deleting the button from Page 1, each link's Action > Destination property is the video associated with the button. (Also, each link's Action > Destination chapter property is the respective marker I defined within Movie Studio.) After I delete the button, each link's Action > Destination property changes to "Broken link". At that point, the only choices for that property are: Most recent menu, Parent menu, Next page, Previous page, and <My Project Name>. (I also notice that each link's Navigation properties are broken...and that each link's Media properties remain intact.) So it appears that deleting the button also deletes the video from the project!

I added the video back to the opening page's timeline; however, this has at least two negative side effects: It replaces my background media with the first frame of the video...and (in Preview Mode, anyway), the video begins playing immediately upon start -- with the (still broken) link buttons remaining on top of the video. The Load Markers button is disabled, so those links remain broken.

Is it possible to remove the button from Page 1, without deleting the video? And is it possible to have background media that differs from the video?
cgwaters

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:02 pm

The background image or video has nothing to do with your links, cg. There must be something else going on.

In most cases, the media you link to should have links back to the menu page as their End Actions.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cgwaters » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm not sure I understand. Nothing looks amiss in the Menu Page Properties, including the End Action section: both prior to the button's deletion and afterward, Command is set to "Hold", Timeout and Button are set to "N/A". None of the Menu Page Properties are broken; it's each link's Destination property that is broken.

(When I delete the button, the video disappears from the Project Overview window--hence, my reason for that comment/question.)
cgwaters

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:34 pm

I added the video back to the opening page's timeline; however, this has at least two negative side effects: It replaces my background media with the first frame of the video...and (in Preview Mode, anyway), the video begins playing immediately upon start -- with the (still broken) link buttons remaining on top of the video.

That sounds like you used drag and drop to add the video and dropped it on the menu's timeline. That timeline is associated with the menu background. Dropping the video on that replaced your menu's background image. If you were to click on the "background media" tab in the menu properties panel on the right side, you would see the video and audio links specify your video file location. You can remove the video and audio from the links and add your jpg back as the background image.

Prior to my deleting the button from Page 1, each link's Action > Destination property is the video associated with the button. (Also, each link's Action > Destination chapter property is the respective marker I defined within Movie Studio.

Which it should.

After I delete the button, each link's Action > Destination property changes to "Broken link". At that point, the only choices for that property are: Most recent menu, Parent menu, Next page, Previous page, and <My Project Name>.

That is puzzling. I've tried to recreate the scenario and that doesn't happen for me. I can drag the links from a submenu to the main menu and delete the submenu button without any problems and no broken links. I don't have Movie Studio, just the standalone DVD Architect, so there may be something else going on. A screenshot of what it looks like would help a lot.

Could you give me a screenshot before you delete the button and another after you delete it?
Bob

Postby cgwaters » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Bob wrote:That sounds like you used drag and drop to add the video and dropped it on the menu's timeline. That timeline is associated with the menu background. Dropping the video on that replaced your menu's background image. If you were to click on the "background media" tab in the menu properties panel on the right side, you would see the video and audio links specify your video file location. You can remove the video and audio from the links and add your jpg back as the background image.

You're correct. I followed your comments and confirmed the Background Media > Video & Audio values; they became set to that of my video. Sure, I can change the Video property back to my JPG ... but then the only reference to my video goes away, too--which, I believe, is leading me away from my goal. IMO, the fundamental problem I'm having is that when I delete the original button, the video is being deleted from my project, which causes the links to break...and my project size to drop from 4.3GB to 0.3MB.

Bob wrote:That is puzzling. I've tried to recreate the scenario and that doesn't happen for me. I can drag the links from a submenu to the main menu and delete the submenu button without any problems and no broken links. I don't have Movie Studio, just the standalone DVD Architect, so there may be something else going on. A screenshot of what it looks like would help a lot.

Just to be clear: I'm deleting the original button from the main (Page 1) menu. Is that what you're doing? Does the video disappear from the Project Overview window? Do your links not break?

Bob wrote:Could you give me a screenshot before you delete the button and another after you delete it?

Please see my Page 1 screenshot attachments, taken before and after I deleted the original button. Notice how, after the button is deleted, the video disappears from the Project Overview window. Notice, too, how the Destination property of the first of the links (which I moved from the submenu) changes to "Broken link".

If it wasn't clear, what I'm trying to accomplish here is to let the user being playing the entire video (by selecting the first link) or jump to a section (by clicking on the second through Nth link). Thank you for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgwaters

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:31 pm

All of those links/End Actions should be set to the Disc 1 menu page so that, after each video plays, the viewer will return to this menu.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the screenshots, I see what's going on now. I have to go out right now, but I'll go over it with you when I get back.
Bob

Postby cgwaters » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:All of those links/End Actions should be set to the Disc 1 menu page so that, after each video plays, the viewer will return to this menu.

But each link is a marker within the one and only video. Regardless of the link the user selects, I'd like the video to play from that point forward -- just like it would on a Scene Selection Menu.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread: "Place Scene Selection Menu links on Page 1 -- instead of on a submenu?" :)
cgwaters

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:23 am

The original button needs to stay. It is the only object directly associated with the video file. The scene buttons are indirect links. Delete the original button and the video will be deleted from the project and the links to it will break.

The original button will play the video from the beginning all the way through the end. This is the same as the first scene button -- the one that plays from the beginning and goes through the end. In other words, you only needed to copy the second through fourth scene buttons to the other menu. Edit the text of the original button if necessary. Resize and reposition the buttons as desired.
Bob

Postby cgwaters » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am

Ah, that makes perfect sense -- thanks!

I'm having a bit of difficulty resizing the original button so that its thumbnail and text matches the appearance of the scene buttons copied from the submenu. Is there anything inherently different, functionality-wise, between the original button object and a scene button object?

Update: I used the Sizing Tool to break up the thumbnail from its text--and the alignment buttons to align the thumbnails. Making progress. :)
cgwaters

Next

Return to DVD Architect