They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Manual Control of Picture Compilations?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Manual Control of Picture Compilations?

Postby orbitrob » Fri May 30, 2014 4:52 pm

hello,

I'm working on a project that will be rendered to DVD and Blu-Ray formats. I just bought the DVD Architect Guide on Amazon (its great) however i'm a bit alarmed to see that there doesn't appear to be a way for the viewer to manually click through the pictures in a picture compilation.

i want to include a multi-page biography as a 'special feature' on the disc - but need the viewer to be able to click through at their leisure - ie. after they have read each page of the bio.

Can this be done? it seems from the book as though picture compilations can only be configure to display automatically - and not manually.

help please!
Rob
orbitrob
New User
New User

Re: Manual Control of Picture Compilations?

Postby Peru » Fri May 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Welcome to Muvipix!
:meet:

You could do that by creating non-DVD files and burn them to the disc as well as the video, but they will probably only be useable on a computer.

I'm sure that the DVDAS experts will chime in soon.
Peru

Postby orbitrob » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 pm

thanks Peru for the warm welcome. :0)

yes, these discs definitely have to have the picture compilation viewable (and manually clickable) on a TV...not a PC.
orbitrob
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Welcome, Rob! Thanks for supporting our book!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri May 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Rob!

Picture Compilations are slide shows. Picture Compilation are converted to a video file as part of the disc creation process and play like a video. It's not like a slide projector where you can display a slide an arbitrary time and click to go to the next slide. Each slide will display for the time you set when you created the compilation and then change. However, you can manually use the Next and Previous buttons on the DVD or Blu-ray player's remote control to move forward or backwards to different slides in the show. There is a limit of 99 slides per compilation that you can do that with. If you have more than 99 slides in a compilation, Next and Previous will only work for the first 99.

There is a workaround of sorts. Create a hierarchy of menus: You can create blank menus and add a photo to each as a background. Place navigation buttons on the menu to move from one menu to another. The menu background image will stay until the user manually clicks on the button to move to the next menu.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 am

Although the SIMPLEST solution would be to use a program that's designed to create this type of manual slideshow.

A favorite here at Muvipix is Pro Show Gold.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat May 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Pro Show Gold is an excellent program for creating slide shows, but I don't think it can do what Rob is asking for. Remember, this needs to be viewed on TV using a DVD and/or Blu-ray and needs to be added to another menu structure. It can certainly output a video file of a show that can be placed on a dvd, but, as far as I know, it can't produce a slide show that doesn't automatically advance the slides.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 31, 2014 4:22 pm

Good point, Bob. In fact, I don't know of any standard DVD that you can manually advance slides through. So your workaround is far and away the best.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Sat May 31, 2014 5:56 pm

It should be pointed out that the player being used can also make a difference. Not all of them do this, but some are compatible with data discs containing certain types of music and photo files that can be viewed with the player's on-board media viewer.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby orbitrob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 am

thank-you Bob, Steve, Kent & Peru for your help with this.
Bob i will try the method you've suggested. much appreciated. ;)

Rob
orbitrob
New User
New User

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:33 am

Bob's suggestion will work. I did it the old fashioned way (with his help several years ago) by editing the VOB file to achieve the same effect. So good luck.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Architect