They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Menu Navigation

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Menu Navigation

Postby BobH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 am

Hi all, I hope someone can help. My DVDA Studio project has Top Menu with a link to the video, a second link to scene selection menus (there are two of these Menu Page 1 and Menu Page 2. If I select the Scene Selection Menu, I can then select to play any scene I choose, but afterwards it goes straight into the next scene. I would like it so that after playing my chosen scene it returned me to the menu page so I could navigate to another scene. I can't see how to set this in the Properties Menu, so can anyone help please.

Thanks
BobH
BobH
New User
New User

Re: Menu Navigation

Postby Peru » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm

I think what you have to do is export each scene as a separate video clip and then import to DVDAS. Then create a compilation instead of one long file with chapters. You can then set the end action separately for each clip.

If you have Steve's book, it tells how to do this.
http://muvipix.com/FORMgallery1.php

The free Learning Series articles here may explain it, too:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Peru Bob is right.

DVDs will always play through from whatever scene or chapter you link to to the end of the movie.

About the only way to make the disc player return to the menu after each chapter is to make each chapter a separate video. (You can still create Playlist if someone wants to play the entire series of videos.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AllieB » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:31 pm

@ Steve

This is what I usually do with my slideshows but the problem you run into is that when you end every slideshow with some remarks and/or copyright information you will see this back x-times when playing the playlist. I still looking for a solution for this.

One could be to prepare two slideshows, one with and the other without that specific information but that means at least a lot more space on the disk, which not always will be possible.

If anyone knows a solution? Perhaps DVD Architect Pro?

Thanks anyway,
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Location: Patroves, in the south of Portugal but born in the Netherlands

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:35 pm

As far as I know DVD Architect Pro functions the same way, Allie.

It's the nature of DVDs. If you go to a scene, the movie will play from that point to the end.

In your case, you could make your copyright a separate file and set up a link from the end of a video to the copyright video before going to the menu. Then you could designate when it is seen. Make sense?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AllieB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:22 am

Thanks Steve, this could be a way to realize this.

I never came up with that idea. Thanks.
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Postby BobH » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:24 am

Hi again and thank you all for your replies. I guess playing from the selected scene to the end is a property of DVDs; is this also the same with Bluray discs?

Regards

BobH
BobH
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 am

That's the default behavior for dvd and Blu-ray. You can specify your own behavior through the use of playlists. You can link a button to a playlist which in turn will specify the sequence of scenes you want included in the playlist and what to do when the playlist finishes playing. Very useful feature. If you want a scene to return to the menu when the scene finishes without playing the rest of the movie, you do it with a playlist.
Bob

Postby BobH » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks Bob for your comments. I guess if I know what scenes I need before editing then it is best to render each scene separately and then bring them into a playlist. I dis this with a project when I spent a week in Malta and a second week in Gozo. With playlists there does seem to be a slight pause between the items when playing sequentially, but I guess this is the trade off.

Regards

BobH
BobH
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:32 am

Bob wrote: You can specify your own behavior through the use of playlists.

That's what I meant to say instead of "compilation." #-o

With playlists there does seem to be a slight pause between the items when playing sequentially

I've noticed that, too. I thought it may have been just my player.
Peru

Postby AllieB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:48 am

Is that slight pause not caused by seeking the file as I have noticed that the files are not sequentially put onto the DVD but in some mysterious oder.
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:49 pm

You don't always need to render each scene separately. If you only want to play a single contiguous segment of a video and return to the menu, you can link the video to a menu button and set the in/out points in the timeline. Repeat for each scene. This is described in the help file under adding a scene selection menu.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Bob wrote:You don't always need to render each scene separately. If you only want to play a single contiguous segment of a video and return to the menu, you can link the video to a menu button and set the in/out points in the timeline. Repeat for each scene. This is described in the help file under adding a scene selection menu.

It would seem so, but I've done a number of discs with scene menus like that and have never been able to get them to work that way. Setting the end action to most recent menu ought to do it, but it doesn't work for me. In those cases where it was important to me for a return to the menu after a scene I've always had to set up separate clips. I sometimes wondered if it had to do with the player, but then realized that it acts the same way in the simulator in DVDAS.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I've used that in the past with no problems, so I tried it again just now to see if it still works. And, it does. This is with the older dvdas version 4.5D. I didn't upgrade to version 5. I dragged the same video from the dvdas explorer and dropped it on the target menu several times, once for each scene, then clicked through each button to the timeline and set the in and out points for each scene. End Action was most recent menu. Each scene returned to the menu after playing just like it should. Works the same in the simulator and the dvd. I don't know why it's not working for you.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, me either. I am using V5, and nearly everything I've done in the past couple of years has been Blu-ray except for a couple of situations where I've made both HD and SD discs from the same project. I can't really imagine that it should make a difference either. :conf: I've just kind of accepted that it's the way things work and move on.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to DVD Architect