They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD capacity

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVD capacity

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:44 am

I've produced a set of educational photography videos and am trying to create a set of DVDs using DVD Architect to be duplicated for commercial use.

The problem is the huge amount of material I have is now spread over 3 dual layer DVDs, duplication costs for these are quite high, so I'm wondering if there's a more optimal way for me to create the DVD's with DVD Architect.

Source material is MPEG-2, I've set the default bitrate to 7 mbps, and I thought perhaps if I reduced the bitrate I might be able to get away with using fewer DVD's or maybe 3 single layer ones. But changing the bitrate doesn't seem to affect the percentage of the DVD being used.

Is there a way to tell DVD Architect to just use whatever means necessary to get the content onto a single DVD. Then I could compare the DVD quality with what I have already and see if it's worthwhile.

Thanks for any help.
Bernie
bernieraffe

Re: DVD capacity

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:15 am

If you select the Fit to Disc option on the Optimize screen, DVD Architect will automatically reduce the bit rate of your video to fit all of your video on a disc.

But there is a saturation point. It won't squeeze, say, over 2 hours of video on a 4.7 gig disc.

You don't say what the running time of your entire video set is. But you can fit about 70-90 minutes of video of a disc with DVD Architect. I doubt you'll be able to squeeze three hours of video on a single disc. Unless, of course, you are able to produce a dual-layer DVD disc.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 am

Ahhh, that's the option I was looking for 'Fit to Disc', thanks.

But just tried it and it said there was too much info to fit on the disc, in all I have about 7 hours of content spread over 3 dual layer DVDs, which fit ok. So I'll forget the option of reducing the number of DVD's or using single layer ones.

What about the bitrate, what is a good default bitrate to use for DVDs? At the moment I have it set to 7Mbps.

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 am

8-9 mpbs is pretty standard for DVDs. 7 mbps will still produce a nice, acceptable quality.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 am

Ok, thanks for your help.
bernieraffe

Return to DVD Architect