They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Estimating size of DVD needed

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Estimating size of DVD needed

Postby Hawk10Vid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I have prepared a number of videos (specifically some recordings of education classes of 30 minutes to 2 hours)) and want to put them onto an autoplay DVD. Is there some way in PE9 to pre-determine what capacity DVD will be needed to hold a video? I would like to burn the videos onto some of the mini-DVD's which hold about 1.4 GB. But, after I burn a regular size DVD, it shows that all the DVD capacity was used. I'd rather not have to go to the higher capacity DVD's if it isn't necessary. Any direction would be appreciated.
Hawk10Vid

Re: Estimating size of DVD needed

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Hawk,
You can fit one hour of video on a standard DVD without any problems. Some people will even put 1.5 - 2 hours on a standard DVD and say there is no quality loss. A Standard DVD will hold about 4 GB of video, so you might be able to get 30 minutes on one of the mini-DVDs with a little quality loss, there is no way you can get 1 - 2 hours worth on there without quality loss. I don't even know if Premiere Elements will let you burn to the Mini-DVDs anyway, has anyone tried?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Estimating size of DVD needed

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 am

Chuck Engels wrote:...I don't even know if Premiere Elements will let you burn to the Mini-DVDs anyway...

Since most of us don't burn directly to DVD anyhow, using any of the popular DVD writing programs should detect and handle the miniDVD I would think. I haven't used a miniDVD in a long time myself.

Of course, it has to fit. Wikipedia indicates the size of a miniDVD is 1.4GB.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9