They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Red hue after applying NonRedKey?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Red hue after applying NonRedKey?

Postby hasso » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi there,

I am using on my footage with green background 1) the greenscreen effect 2) non redKEy effect(with defringe Green).
Now after applying the non red key, the face of person I am filming gets kinda red and becomes noisy with red patches.

How can I get rid of the red patches/freckles? I need the non red key to get rid of the greenscreen hue.

Thanks
hasso
New User
New User

Re: Red hue after applying NonRedKey?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Hasso, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

I am wondering why you are using the non-red key, for what reason?

Also, you might want to try the Chroma Key rather than the Green Screen Key, it has a few more adjustments that make this a bit easier in my opinion.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Chuck, the non-red key can sometimes be effective in cleaning up some of the edges of a Chroma or Green Screen Key effect.

But, hasso, you don't say what settings you're using these effects at. Are you adjusting them in the Properties panel, and to what degree?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

That's why I like the Chroma key rather than the Green Screen key Steve, not usually any need to clean up.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:13 pm

That's been my experience too, Chuck.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hasso » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 pm

the keying with the greenscreen key worked perfect. but I have a green reflection from the greenscreen on the face of the actor and so I tried to remove it with non red key. as soon as I select defringe green, the green reflection on the face vanishes but the red patches appear. the whole face appears more red. Non redkey somehow removes the green part off the picture but then the red channel is getting more weight... or so I explain myself the effect. I was trying all the sliders of non red Key, the red patches more or less sustained. even tried colour balance and channel mixer but couldnt get any healthy skin tone. Question would be how to restore some skin color on the face?
hasso
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Try using the Chroma Key effect instead of the Green Screen Key. You should get pretty good results (using the eye dropper to sample the background color) and may not even need the Non-red Key.

On the other hand, there are limits to what you can do with any of the color key effects with consumer-based video. Because of the compression it uses, your original shot and green background must be nearly perfect to get a really good key effect.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hasso » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 pm

thanks, I guess the green reflection cannot be removed properly. the red patches and the noise are just because the blue channel is noisy with my cam. and its a consumer cam.
Is there a manual how to set up good but not expensive lighting for greenscreen scenarios?
hasso
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Steve and Chuck, Could you use motion tracking on the face, where a garbage matte is following the track (face) to filter out the Color Balance effect from the rest of the frame? You might be able to get rid of the green reflection on the face with the Color Balance effect.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm

That's an interesting idea, Robert -- and might be worth a try.

But, man, that could mean some pretty precise motion keyframing!

Meantime, hasso, it's hard to tell you how to improve your green screen when we aren't sure how you're shooting it now.

But this web site has some excellent, affordable equipment.
http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/StoreFront

It also includes some excellent instructional software, books and video.

Lighting your background evenly and then lighting your foreground figure well and separately from the background seems to be the key.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:31 am

I'm still wondering if you have tried the Chroma Key effect? You have much more control and more settings to adjust.
I've never had much of a problem keying out what I need to using the Chroma Key. If you haven't given it a try it is definitely worth a shot ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:40 am

Hasso, would it be possible for you to create a freeze frame of a typical shot without any keying effects applied and upload it here for us to take a look at it. You can upload one of the red splotchs too, if you would like. It's a lot easier for use to give you good advice if we know precisely what you are dealing with.

Besides the chromakey effect, try applying videomerge and see how that does. Videomerge is a keyer also, but one which uses a newer methodology. With the right media, it does an outstanding job. FYI, Premiere Pro CS5 includes a much more capable verison of this called Ultra Keyer.

Spill suppression in consumer products is rudimentary at best. Try to arrange your subject far enough away from the green screen to avoid spill and light the subject well. Spill suppression in the editor works by adding in the complementary color (in this case Magenta) to neutralize the spill color. It definitely may make some areas redder if the spill is not uniform. It's definitely easier all around if you can avoid it at the time of the shoot.
Bob

Postby hasso » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:49 am

Hi all,

Thanks for all the hints.
I am using two hardwarestore halogen beamers to light the greenscreen. and then one ordinary 150 Watt lamp to light the person. It is a cheap setting I know, but I have neither space to stow away nor money for some big 1000$+ studio equipment.

Is there any plugin for spill suppression which can be used with Premiere Elements9? I was trying this: http://cinegobs.com/software/after-effects but couldnt get the plugin loaded.
I wonder if a additional lamp might help to beam away the greenish. like this http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT

Please find attached the screenshoots:
original, then Chroma Key, then non redkey applied. Question still is how to get the red face to healthy skin tones.

Any hint is welcome!
Attachments
nonredkey.jpg
withchromakey.jpg
original.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hasso
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Hasso,
The Chroma Key looks pretty good for your setup. Considering the shadows and wrinkles on the green screen it came out really well. Give the folks here a little time to play around with it and I'm sure that you will have some great ideas to help :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I think if you shoot a cleaner green screen video, your problems will resolve themselves.

1) Have your actor farther forward from the green screen. Think of lighting him and lighting your background as two separate lighting assignments.
2) Get the wrinkles out of the green screen and work on getting good, even light. A soft flourescent light might work best for it. But for best results, we shouldn't even be able to see it's a sheet. It should look like an even-colored green, limbo background.
3) As I said, move the actor up away from the green and light him separately.

If he's lit well and the green screen is lit separately and well, you may find Videomerge alone creates a perfect key!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 9