They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Installing PE and PrEl 9

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Installing PE and PrEl 9

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to install PE and PrEl 9 and just wondering if I should uninstall my current versions? Or may I just install these and it will take care of "uninstalling" my older versions?

Thanks much! :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Installing PE and PrEl 9

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Ted, different versions can coexist with no problem, so just leave the previous version(s) installed if you would like. If you want to uninstall a previous version just do so through Control Panel. The PE and PrEl 9 installation won't uninstall any previous versions. Many people find it useful to have multiple versions installed. Be aware that if you open a project file from a previous version in V9 you won't be able to go back and open it again in the original version.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Ted, different versions can coexist with no problem, so just leave the previous version(s) installed if you would like. If you want to uninstall a previous version just do so through Control Panel. The PE and PrEl 9 installation won't uninstall any previous versions. Many people find it useful to have multiple versions installed. Be aware that if you open a project file from a previous version in V9 you won't be able to go back and open it again in the original version.

Dave, this is all very useful information (especially opening the different versions).

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out! :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 am

Dave has hit all the important points.

If you've got the hard drive space, leaving the previous version on the computer may be helpful for a while. I like to leave at least one previous version on my computer until I am completely comfortable with how the new version works. Sometimes menu options or buttons are moved around or even (gasp) removed and I just want to go back and quickly do something in the way that I remember. Just a thought.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 am

Additionally, my personal experience is that when PrEl 9 converted a project file from V7, there were problems with the resulting file. If you do decide to experiment be sure to have backup copies of the original that you can return to if necessary. Steve Grisetti always recommends finishing any in-progress projects in the original version, and I agree. Start new projects in the new version.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 am

Rockdoc wrote:Dave has hit all the important points.

If you've got the hard drive space, leaving the previous version on the computer may be helpful for a while. I like to leave at least one previous version on my computer until I am completely comfortable with how the new version works. Sometimes menu options or buttons are moved around or even (gasp) removed and I just want to go back and quickly do something in the way that I remember. Just a thought.

Good advice...thanks, Jennifer! :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:24 am

Dave McElderry wrote:Additionally, my personal experience is that when PrEl 9 converted a project file from V7, there were problems with the resulting file. If you do decide to experiment be sure to have backup copies of the original that you can return to if necessary. Steve Grisetti always recommends finishing any in-progress projects in the original version, and I agree. Start new projects in the new version.

Yep, that was my plan... along with Jennifer's idea to use the older version for any edits I want to make, etc. :) Thanks, Dave!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 am

I do agree with everything said, however I do want to point out some of my experiences.

In the past, I had 2 versions on my system at the same time. The issue I had was that I couldn't open help in the newer version with the old one installed. That was a while ago and I cannot remember the versions. This problem is probably resolved as I have not heard any complaints about this in years.

Also, I have never had a problem opening a project created in a previous version in the current version. However I have only done this with 2 consecutinve versions. For example, I never had a problem opening PRE3 projects in PRE4. But I have never tries opening a PRE2 project in PRE4. I suspect the older the version you created the project in the more troublesome the current version will have converting to the new format.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9