They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Images from Photoshop are not rotated in Premiere Elements

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Images from Photoshop are not rotated in Premiere Elements

Postby angelah100 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Am testing the trial version of PE and PS Vs 9. In the Organizer, I have a bunch of video and stills Some of the stills were taken with the camera rotated 90 degrees (portrait mode?) and correctly appear in Organizer w/o me having to manually rotate each one. However when I add those still images to PE9, the still images switch to 'landscape'. That never happened in vs 8. Is there some setting that is incorrectly set within PE9? Thanks.
angelah100

Re: Images from Photoshop are not rotated in Premiere Elemen

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm

The Organizer may be correcting them on the fly -- but, if the original photos are rotated 90 degrees, they'll look that way in Premiere Elements too.

Rotating the original photos would be the best fix.

Short of that, you can right-click on each photo on your timeline and select the Rotate option from the context menu.

Though I still think just rotating the originals would be easier -- and more permanent.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby angelah100 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:54 pm

This is probably a dumb question -
Since the photos already appear correctly rotated in the Organizer, I can't rotate them again w/o ending up with the wrong rotation. How do I rotate an image that is already rotated? I assumed that Organizer auto-rotated when it imported the images and saved that rotation somehow, at least in Version 8 (and previous) I've never had to deal with this before.
angelah100

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 pm

I would expect that the Organizer only rotated the thumbnail and not the original image.

But you ask a good question! If you rotate the original image, will that then re-rotate the thumbnail?

I'm not sure of the answer. But I'd recommend rotating the original photos anyway, so you don't run into this issue again later.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm

angelah100 wrote:This is probably a dumb question -
Since the photos already appear correctly rotated in the Organizer, I can't rotate them again w/o ending up with the wrong rotation. How do I rotate an image that is already rotated? I assumed that Organizer auto-rotated when it imported the images and saved that rotation somehow, at least in Version 8 (and previous) I've never had to deal with this before.

In the Organizer,
1-- look at the Organizer Preferences and find the preference for "Rotate JPEGS using orientation metadata" This should be UNchecked. (yes I know this may be the exact opposite of what you would expect)
2-- then in the Organizer thumbnail area, rotate a photo 90 degrees (at which time it appears sideways in the Organizer thumbnail) and then you rotate it back in the other direction so that it again appears normal in the Organizer

Note: You can select multiple thumbnails for rotation at the same time: so it is not totally one at a time

Initially, I would experiment with one photo file. In fact I think I would pick an insignificant photo file that is not currently in the PE project, and do the sequence of Organizer rotation above on just that photo file. Then add the photo file just rotated to the PE project or make a separate PE project for your testing if you wish. Once you have resolved that works, then you can evaluate whether for this specific project you want to set the rotate in Premiere Elements or go back and do the Organizer rotation.

FYI - I am a little puzzled because I thought that others have experienced this problem both in v8 and v9. Perhaps your previous PE8 projects used photos taken with a camera that did not set an orientation indicator or the camera settings were different to cause no orientation indicator.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9