They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organizer crash -- runtime error

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Organizer crash -- runtime error

Postby grobie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:01 am

Been running PrE 9 and PS9 for several months with no problems. Tried to open the Oragnizer in PS9 last night and it crashed. I got a Runtime Error! A snip of the error message is attached. So far I've tried:

- rebooting my system
- restoring my system back to a tiem last week when everything was working
- removing PS9 and PrE9 and reinstalling

Nothing has worked so far. Anyone else deal with this issue? If so, whow did you fix it?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gateway DX4831: Core i3-530; 6GB DDR3 RAM; 2 x 1TB internal SATA drives; 1GB ATI Radeon HD4685 graphics.
grobie
New User
New User

Re: Organizer crash -- runtime error

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Grobie,
I've sent a message to Adobe about this, will let you know what they have to say.
Hopefully there will be some other ideas for you to try while we wait for a response.
Hang in there :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby grobie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate it. I did a quick check of the Adobe forum and found a coupe of references to this kind of error ... but none of the threads led to any kind of fix. Hopefully Adobe can provide a solution.
Gateway DX4831: Core i3-530; 6GB DDR3 RAM; 2 x 1TB internal SATA drives; 1GB ATI Radeon HD4685 graphics.
grobie
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 pm

grobie,
While we are waiting for Chuck to receive a response from Adobe, I have a couple of questions and ideas.

1 -- Do you remember back to the last time that you successfully used the Organizer -- what were you doing ? And specifically what was the last action that you initiated in the Organizer ?

One suggestion that I saw in a PSE forum thread disucssing a Runtime error with PSE 9 is to :
"Try resetting the Organizer preferences. Go to run. Type in %appdata%. Navigate to Adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer\ .. Delete files psa.prf and status.dat. Now launch Organizer. See if that gets it working for you."

However, if deleting psa.prf and status.dat (while Adobe Elements is not active) does not solve your problem, there are also other specific areas like Online Services, which if not previously ended normally might cause a crash when you next use the Organizer. That is why I am asking what you might have done the previous time that you used the Organizer.

2 -- Have you ever experienced any messages about problems with the Adobe Licensing Service ?
(I suspect that your answer to this question will be no. However because this is a problem which other people have experienced after previously running successfully, I decided to mention it.)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby grobie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am

Barb,

I deleted the psa.prf and status.dat -- no luck. I still get the runtime error. The last time I opened the Organizer, I simply used it to find an imge that I then opened in the editor. I don't remember anything starnge going on. I haven't used the onl;ine services and I"ve never gotten any messages regarding issues with the licensing service.

Thanks for the help.
grobie
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 am

One additional thought that I had after posting those 2 previous suggestions is for you to do a Repair and Optimize of your Organizer Catalog.

I suspect that your failure occurs before you have the opportunity to enter any commands to the Organizer. However if you are able to enter any Organizer commands, use the File menu Catalog commands for Repair and Optimize: even if the program gives you a message saying there is nothing to Repair, ignore that and do the Repair command anyway.

I am not currently at a PC where I could give you the instructions for initiating catalog actions at the time that you are starting the Organizer. So if you crash before the Organizer File menu is available, try to find instructions on how to initiate the Catalog commands while starting the Organizer - I suggest looking in the PDF Help file for the Elements Organizer.

I will check back later today.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:01 pm

it is now later and I have some additional info for initiating catalog actions at the time that you are starting the Organizer.

Have both the Photoshop Elements Editor and Premiere Elements workspaces NOT running/active.
-- Start PSE to get to the Welcome screen.
-- Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys and click Organize.
-- Keep holding down the keys until you see the Catalog window.
-- Select your catalog and click Repair.

And here is a description from the Organizer 9 Help PDF of the choices to the possible responses from the Repair (catalog) option.
One of three dialog boxes will open. The first three of these allow you to select Re-index Visual Similarity Data (Windows only).
Do one of the following:
-
If a dialog box reports No Errors Were Found In The Catalog, click OK or Repair Anyway.
-
If a dialog box reports that the catalog doesn’t have errors, but the thumbnail cache does, click Delete Thumbnail Cache if you want Photoshop Elements to delete and regenerate the cache.
-
If a dialog box reports that errors were found, click OK or Cancel. If errors were also found in the thumbnail cache, Photoshop Elements deletes the cache and regenerates it.
-
If a dialog box reports that the catalog is unrecoverable, consider loading a backup of the catalog.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby grobie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 am

Barb,

Thanks for the udpated info. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. That being said, it looks like the problem is more with my Windows 7 user account. I created a new user account yesterday and then gave my primary user account permission to share image files with the new account. When I'm logged in with the newly created user account, I can open the Organizer with no problem. When I log off of that account and log back in with my primary user account, I get the runtime error. If I have the time and energy tonight, I'm going to try to figfure out how to repair/reinstall the preferences in my primay user account.

Thinking back, my problems started when I tried to upload some images from my still camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8). Usually I start PSE first then connect the camera. This time, I connected the camera and then launched PSE. When I tried to open the organizer, I got the runtime error. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I do know that I'll always launch PSE first and then connect the camera second.
grobie
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Adobe tells me that they are looking into the problem and will let us know what they find.
I have sent them your information about the user profile in Windows 7 and how a new profile works.
Thanks for the additional info and troubleshooting.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I created a new user account yesterday and then gave my primary user account permission to share image files with the new account. When I'm logged in with the newly created user account, I can open the Organizer with no problem. When I log off of that account and log back in with my primary user account, I get the runtime error.

I'm going to try to figfure out how to repair/reinstall the preferences in my primay user account.

Knowing that it is related to the user account is progress.
FYI - the psa.prf file is the Preferences file for the Organizer. However there are other related files that also can cause problems . So if you wish, you could locate the psa.prf file under your primary user account and then post the names of the other files in that file structure. There will most probably be a log file in those folders and the entries near the end of the log file might help discover which process failed.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am

Here are the responses from Adobe:

Premiere Elements Team response #1 wrote:Chuck,
The problem could be in the catalog used by the first user account. If you create another catalog (Ctrl+Shift+C from within the Organizer) or delete/rename the catalog from the location mentioned below, and use that for importing and managing, I guess the issue might still stand resolved.

Catalog locations (Type these locations within quotes in the run bar):
User specific catalog : %appdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\
Common users catalog : %programdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\

Thanks,
Premiere Elements team

Premiere Elements Team response #2 wrote:Chuck,
You could also do this if the problem happens only with specific profile. Rename the folder “C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer”.

If it does not, we will need to look at logs. Here is how to get it.

Change the value of ‘LogFileMsgLevel’ registry key to 6. This key is present at “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Organizer”.

After this is done, launch organizer.
The log.txt file is created at “C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer”.

Regards,
Premiere Elements team

If you get to the end of #2 and need to create the log file you can email it to me and I will forward it on to the Adobe Team.

Hope this helps :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby grobie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. Here's a simple question for you: how do I find my C:\documents and settings folder? Now that I'm running Windows 7, I can't for the life of me find it.

Thanks.
grobie
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:49 pm

“C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer” is for Windows XP, not Windows 7.

In Windows 7, the version 9 log file will probably be located here: "C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer"
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Bob :)
Just in case I have emailed Adobe again asking them to give us the correct paths for Windows 7.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am

Here is the response from Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements Team wrote:Chuck,

Try these for path:
Go to run bar and type “%appdata%\Adobe\” and browse to the respective folder.

Regards,
Premiere Elements team

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9