They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help with Blue Screen

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Help with Blue Screen

Postby colbykenyon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Hello. I've followed the instructions in the Muvipix manual as well as Adobe's online tutorials, but this is the first feature I cannot get to funcion properly. I'm filming a person dressed in black standing before a well lit, even blue surface. The background from the second clip comes in alright over the blue screen; the problem is that the object (person in black) becomes somewhat transparent themself. Imagine if you could partially see through the meteorologist giving a weather forecast (he's transparent enough that you can see the section of the map directly behind him).

Any tips on how I can fix this? I've tinkered around quite a bit and have had no luck.

Thanks!

Colby
colbykenyon
New User
New User

Re: Help with Blue Screen

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 am

Hi Colby and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

Caveat: I use PPro and not PrEl so this function might not be available in PrEl.

Have you tried using RGB Key or Color Key where you can select the color you want to key on with a color picker. Most Non-Linear edit systems expect an absolutley perfectly even background for good results when using the "Green Screen" or "Blue Screen" Chromakey option.

Also have a look to see if any of the YouTube tuts can help.

Finally I have an .flv tut on my PC which is the one I used for my first forays into chroma keying. If you like then I will try to send it to you via a PM but it might be rejected by the e-mail system as it is quite a large file.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome to Muvipix!

Are you using the Blue Screen Key effect for this? If so, you may need to adjust the cutoff and threshold values for the effect in the properties panel. It's a balancing act between the two settings to get the best results.

Cutoff affects the opacity of the non-transparent areas of the keyed image. Moving the slider to the right increases the opacity. It sounds like your cutoff setting is too low.

Threshold sets the level of transparency for the blue areas. Moving it left will increase transparency.

Don't move the sliders so far that one crosses past the other, that will reverse the transparent/opaque areas.

Instead of Blue Screen Key, you might try the Videomerge effect. Videomerge is a newer keying effect using improved algorithms and frequently will do a better job than some of the older keying effects.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 am

Welcome Colby :wcm:

One other suggestion, you might consider using a green screen background rather than blue if your actor will be wearing lots of black or any dark colors.
Even still, the suggestions by Bob and John should help make a lot of difference.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9