They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Text reveal question...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Text reveal question...

Postby rvrkids » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:58 pm

I love the text reveal in momoffduty's Easter project and am trying to duplicate it.

Here is the link... http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... Reveal.wmv

The way the background paper and text push off together to show the next background and reveal makes it look like the background paper and text are one image but then I don't know how to reveal the text line by line.

So, the only way I can figure to do it is to put the background paper on track 1 and then each line of text as a title on subsequent tracks. Each track is then keyframed for opacity to reveal the text. But then to push all of the lines of text and the paper background off in unison means movement would have to keyframed exactly the same for each track.....I can do this but thought there might be a more efficient way that I am missing.

Thanks.
rvrkids

Re: Text reveal question...

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:11 pm

The text reveal and project was made in AE. To make a text reveal in PrEl is the way you described by having each line of text as its own title and fading each on separately. A good option is Heroglyph Rapid for text animation: http://www.prodad.de/gb/heroglyph_std_details.html

I used Heroglyph rapid before getting AE and was happy with it. Others on the forum use Bluff Titler and may weigh in with their review.

To try to keyframe the movement of the background & text in PrEl would be tricky and frustrating and would run into resolution problems. It is a lot easier in AE because the elements of the background & text are stationary and the movement is from camera keyframes that float over the surface.

I really don't think there would be an easy way to do this in PrEl.

This is somewhat related: If you have 4 titles and say 2 photos on 6 tracks stacked up, these can all have the same transition placed at their ends and they will then transition at the same time and appear to be one unit. Try mixing up the transitions or running some in reverse to create different effects.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby rvrkids » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks Cheryl...that's what I was afraid of.

As much as Premiere Elements can do it seems like alot of the effects I have seen on this forum require additional programs and I don't have the $$ to buy AE yet. I will check out your other suggestions.

Thanks for your help...I'm sure I'll be back.
rvrkids

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:54 am

momoffduty wrote:I really don't think there would be an easy way to do this in PrEl.

The only way that I can think of is to export your "collage" clip of revealed text and background as an .avi file. Then re-import that .avi file back into PrEl then keyframe the 'push' movement. Because everything, when exported as the .avi file, will be just one clip, everything will 'push' in harmony.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 am

I had a quick stab at doing this a different way in PE8....

The above uses three tracks. One for the background, one for the text and one for the track matte for the reveal. The matte looks as follows:
It was created as a title drawing rectangles over the text then giving each rectangle a different progressively darker shade of grey. (It starts at around value 220 for the RGB and decrements by 10 each time - but this was just a guess - fiddling might produce better results). I then changed the brightness and contrast to darken to nothing then bleach out the image. This required two brightness alterations. Here's one keyframe point.
You'll have to fiddle with this to achieve the effect that works for you. Then apply the track matte using Luma and Robert is your father's brother.

Once you've done the reveal place a new copy of the same title on the timeline without the track matte effect to move off.

It's not fantastic - but it allows the text to appear a word at a time without resorting to hundreds of titles/tracks.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 am

Good suggestions John & Chris! My text reveal sample that rvrkids linked demonstrated 2 reveals. One by word and the other by line.
The general consensus here was the reveal by line was more eye appealing. Using Chris's method of a gradient would work by
making one gradient that would be suited for all of the title clips.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 pm

I did this kinda quickly, but a 4-point garbage matte (on 3 separate lines of titles) allows you to control the speed. Or couldn't you just fade each line in individually.

edit: reading back through here, I realize this doesn't address handling the background AND the text together. :(
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 pm

I think Cheryl should be restricted from posting all these wonderful videos, which only serve to frustrate those of us whom lack the resources to duplicate.

.. just kidding,Cheryl .. I love your stuff! And you've been very helpful in trying to help us duplicate your work with inferior products. :lol:
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Jayell wrote:I think Cheryl should be restricted from posting all these wonderful videos, which only serve to frustrate those of us whom lack the resources to duplicate.

.. just kidding,Cheryl .. I love your stuff! And you've been very helpful in trying to help us duplicate your work with inferior products. :lol:

:CS: Thanks for the laugh jayell! I wouldn't call PrEl inferior, just challenging to create extra fx. Sometimes when I am working in AE the question
pops up to me on how could this be accomplished in PrEl. Just last week I tested out a theory and no go.

Your garbage point matte is a good reveal option. Can that matte be feathered in the newer PrEl versions? Or isn't there a mask option
now? I only have PrEl3.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:25 pm

momoffduty wrote:Your garbage point matte is a good reveal option. Can that matte be feathered in the newer PrEl versions? Or isn't there a mask option now? I only have PrEl3.

I'm playing with it, but having trouble creating what I think you're suggesting. The only EFFECT I'm familiar with is a 'feathered edge', which doesn't help if the title doesn't fill the entire screen. Using a feathered matte created in PSE (or whatever) is giving me fits right now (seems like some days it works, other days it doesn't. :( Will let you know if I come up with anything.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:14 pm

You are all so helpful and have such great ideas and suggestions....thank you. Every question I've posted has been answered quickly and I've learned so much.

I have alot to try now, I'm sure one of the ideas will work for me once I play around enough.

I love this stuff :TU:
rvrkids

Postby rvrkids » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 pm

I tried everyone's suggestions and the easiest option was to fade in each of my text lines and then export the final frame of the "collage clip" and insert it into the timeline. Since it is then 1 image it is easy to push off. Great idea...thanks John.
rvrkids

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:16 am

You are welcome. Glad it did the trick. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 am

...export the final frame of the "collage clip" and insert it into the timeline

If you are talking about just the final frame, you don't even need to export it. Just click on "freeze frame" and "insert in movie". :)
Bob

Postby mark hansen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I did something similar with a page turn effect. I had text and graphic appear on a page and when it was done, the page turned to see the next page. just before the page started turning I took a frame capture and used that to turn the page instead of trying to key frame all the elements to have them match up.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 9