They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

RENDERING Premier Elements 9 project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

RENDERING Premier Elements 9 project

Postby ifoundabuddy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:19 am

Hi there,

I have been doing really well with my projects recently and THINK i am going okay this time too, but it has been more than a year since i finished the last project. Now i have a question. It is my understanding that each time you render a project, you decompress a little and potentially affect the quality of the finished quality of the photos?? And do repeat renderings make this even more noticeable. I am presently doing a HD project with stills and movie clips. I have already completed about 120 separate Premiere Elements 9 projects, that i will save in the form of mpeg2s to the computer, and then combine about 10 or so of these separate projects into 12 larger Premier Elements 9 projects, and save each of those 12 larger mpegs2 which will then have music added to it, and then burned to a blu ray on Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0, resulting in 12 finished blu ray projects. I hope i have explained myself correctly.

But now for the rendering question. It seems to me that i have 4 different opportunities to render the projects, and my question is whether it is necessary at least at the first step.
Those four options to render are as i see it: 1) when i complete each of the 120 small Premiere Elements 9 projects, i can render it, and it certainly provides me the option of seeing what the finished component will look like. Then 2) when i go to save the smaller projects as mpeg2s, it states that i am rendering and saving the project. Saving it as mpeg2, but also rendering it again, at which time i have no choice. It automatically happens when
i press 'save' to save the project as an mpeg2. And then when i have the larger project completed combining 10-12 smaller mpeg2s, i save it once again as the larger final version mpeg2 which will serve as the information for each blu ray to burn, but it also will automatically save and render again the project at that time. I have been using Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0 to burn the blu rays successfully, because that does not always happen with Premier Elements 9. And in the process it again says it is rendering the information.

So i guess the questions of concern, are whether that rendering is affecting the quality of the finished product significantly???? And perhaps even more important, do i need to render the intial 120 smaller segment projects in Premiere Elements before saving it as a mpeg2 for the first time??? Or are there any options that could simplify this whole process, particularly without having to re-render the finished product 4 times. It takes about an hour to render the initial small segment projects, then at least another hour to save as mpeg2 each time. Doesn't matter if the finished product looks good.

So am i missing the boat somewhere along this pathway. I think i am following the recommendations that Steve Grisetti has given me both here and and on the Adobe Forum. Any comments would be appreciated.

Ron
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Re: RENDERING Premier Elements 9 project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:35 pm

If you're going to output your video project so that it can be re-used in another project or as part of a larger project, the best plan of action is to output it in a format that the program can edit natively. When the program is editing your video natively, the project settings perfectly match your video specs and the program makes little or no change to the video as it moves through your project. In other words, if you add DV-AVI video to a project set up for DV and you then output DV-AVI from the project, the video data flows through the program virtually unchanged. You get little if any recompression damage. Make sense?

The way you can tell if the program is editing your video natively is that there is NO red line above your clips when you add them to your timeline in Timeline mode.

Versions 10 and 11 can edit many more formats natively than version 9 can. But version 9 should be able to edit both DV-AVIs and HDV MPEGs natively, if you've properly set up your project.

In other words:
If your are working on a standard definition project, output each video segment using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV or DV Widescreen preset. Then, when you combine these segments, combine them in a project set up for DV or DV Widescreen.

If you are working on a high-definition project in version 9, output each video segment using Share/Computer/MPEG using the MPEG2 1440x1080i 30 preset (or 25 preset for PAL). Then, when you combine these segments, combine them in a project set up for HDV. (Not AVCHD -- at least in version 9.)

Remember the litmus test is whether or not you see red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline in Timeline mode. If you are not seeing red lines above your clip, the program is not re-rendering the video when you output the same format as you added.

That's not 100% true. There are other factors. But if you follow that workflow, you won't do any noticeable compression damage when you run your video through your project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: RENDERING Premier Elements 9 project

Postby ifoundabuddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks Steve, you have reassured me to continue on with confidence. So far so good. Ron
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9